The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brembos and no ABS Good Idea?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Brembos and no ABS Good Idea?

Would they lock up easier, more frequently than stock brakes? Thoughts??
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 11-21-2012 at 09:05 AM

4g64T 5spd

I've got brembos on the front alone with no abs and I know that if I jam on the brakes they lock up immediately, but with regular driving they're not that bad, might do rears brembos also to have some what equal balance in braking.
    Evo 8 Head, BC 288/288 BC Springs & Retainers, Weisco Pistons and Eagle Rods 2.4 (Comperssion 9.5:1) ARP Headstuds and Mainstuds, Cosmetic Headgasket, New Clevite Bearings all around, Evo 8 Oil Pump, English Racing water pump, Gates Racing Timing belt, Findanza Adjustable cams, 2 255 walboro pumps, RC 1000s, AEM Rail, and 5 Speed swapped, powered by a 6262 T3 w/ .82 A/R.. WILL MY TRANNY HOLD THIS? Lets wait and see :)

You WANT a front brake bias.

pretty sure mitsubishi knows what is the safest amount of "bias". so if you do the front brembos i would do the rear too.

i know what you are saying silvertune but your post is vague and could be misleading to some.

I'm running Brembo brakes in the front only with no ABS also and havent had any scary situations and that includes a few auto x events where I would run a few times back to back. I would really say it depends on how good of a feel you have for your car after each modification.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

quick question for you guys since we are on the subject of brakes. what would be a compatible rear brake set up for converting my drums to?? I dont want to spend tons on a conversion kit, would rather pull parts off of a parts car and upgrade later.

As far as the bias goes, the evo vs galant comparison is flawed, but I'd be happy with a full brembo setup on the g. (I have baers front, brembos in the back right now.)
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by cburch427 View Post
    quick question for you guys since we are on the subject of brakes. what would be a compatible rear brake set up for converting my drums to?? I dont want to spend tons on a conversion kit, would rather pull parts off of a parts car and upgrade later.
    I'm sure there's a list floating around somewhere for what you need, just search. Any v6 3g or 8g would be perfect donors. I have calipers with pads for sale, if you want them, I'll throw in the brakelines too.

I have 4 piston fronts on my 7G with no abs. in emergency braking situations they lock up in an instant. But i comes down to your tires and your feel for the car. You learn never to jam the brakes on and modulate the pedal so you can brake hard without locking them up.

as far as braking bias, while you can change it, it is determined mostly by the proportioning valve on the firewall. as long as you have one meant for a rear disk car you don't have to worry about it. but next comes if you want more braking force from an upgraded brake master

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Have you guys that did the rear disc conversion change up the proportioning valve or leave in the stock one?

I left stock. Works fine so far, but I don't autocross or anything.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

I changed it to a v6 without abs prop valve

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    why wouldnt you just leave the ABS on if you switch to brembos?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    why wouldnt you just leave the ABS on if you switch to brembos?
    I can't speak for everyone, but when my other car was totaled I re-used my A-arms and just snipped the abs wire. I could wire them back up, but the sensors are rusted in and not worth the hassle. If I drove it in the winter, I would have hooked them up again.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

I have Brembos with no abs on a 4cylinder galant, I run a v6 proportioning valve.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    i have brembos on mine with original proportioning valve(02 4cyl with drums)

i need to swap my prop valve. everyone should. i have it sitting on my desk. just laziness and lack of driving the car really

with the drum prop valve, the rear calipers barely clamp. Drums take less pressure to work. Once you swap the valve it will help, since the back will be pulling its weight.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

hey GTX how much plus shipping for the calipers lines and pads? i live in texas. I am very interested