The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pic Request.. 3g gt eclipse muffler on a 8th gen

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Delete thread, found a pic on my own

Alright hopefully this belongs in customizing and not performance because, I'm asking for a picture of, and not performance questions. But basically just trying to get an idea how the muffler would sit, since it seems larger in height than the 8g muffler. My biggest fear is getting one and having to get it mounted aiming downward for clearance..I hate it when I see other cars with the muffler mounted like that, so naturally I don't want to end up with the same.

Thanks for any pics anyone comes up with in advance
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 11-26-2012 at 11:58 PM

M-rod had this setup for awhile. Pretty sure this is his car.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Yup that's mine :) it was so innocent back then lol

The muffler fits fine but in order for it to sit flush with the bumper you need to trim behind the bumper to give it room to come out. You will also need to weld your own bracket to attach to the rubber hanger otherwise it will look sunken in like it originally would on a 3G.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Experienced TGC Member 99galantES's Avatar
    Is there any sound difference?

«Carlos»

This was my magnaflow from the eclipse.
    with the JDM bumper

with USDM stock bumper
    Last edited by Isaurio; 11-27-2012 at 02:22 PM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by 99galantES View Post
    Is there any sound difference?
    Of course there is. Take any V6 8G, and a 3G GT and listen to them stock vs. stock. The 3G GT muffler is throatier and slightly louder than that of the 8G. If noise is your thing, find a muffler from a 2000 Eclipse GT. That year was the loudest of all during the 3rd generation because critics thought it was too loud. Needless to say, Mitsubishi quieted the car in 2001.

Here is a clip of my car when it had the OEM 2000 Eclipse GT Muffler. The sound will however be altered a bit from most because of my increased displacement, headers, and lack of a catalytic converter.

http://youtu.be/7NNqO2RuXU0

Hate to dig up my old thread but 2 reasons. First off I apologize for forgetting to check back and thank those who responded. 2nd I have another question in response to M-rod...how much of the bumper do you have to cut and about where on the bumper do you do it? Got my first exhaust ticket in the G last weekend, so the current muffler has to go quicker than I had hoped
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 03-16-2013 at 01:57 AM

Oh hold up I think I get what you mean. By flush, you meant the tip and not the body of the muffler? Your saying so the muffer tip can reach the end of the bumper. Would I have to take the bumper off? I have a dremel and cutting wheels. If its behind the bumper that's cool. I just didn't want some haggard cuts being visible.

Thanks

It was a bit of test-fitting for me. I only used a hacksaw blade by hand. It cuts through the plastic bumper quite easily. You can leave the bumper on. As you can see from the picture Keith posted of my car, nothing appears to be cut when viewed from the muffler's level and above. The only part that's cut is underneath where you cannot see it. I should have my car back home in a few weeks and can show you what was cut then.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    It was a bit of test-fitting for me. I only used a hacksaw blade by hand. It cuts through the plastic bumper quite easily. You can leave the bumper on. As you can see from the picture Keith posted of my car, nothing appears to be cut when viewed from the muffler's level and above. The only part that's cut is underneath where you cannot see it. I should have my car back home in a few weeks and can show you what was cut then.
    Sounds good, right now I'm stuck between a 3g muffler and turbo syle (like thrush) muffler. Mainly cause I'm thinking the junk yard will charge me a good amount for a 3g. I mean I got a strut brace off one and it ran me like $35. The turbo muffler I'm looking at costs that if not a lil less new and shipped. So I can only imagine what a muffler will cost

Thanks again for your help

no problem. if there are any 3g owners in your area, you could convince them to get an aftermarket exhaust and get their stock muffler.

Lol good point...another option I'm leaning towards is jones full boar quiet tone. That more so than the turbo muffler