The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: infinity amp/sub settings help

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

infinity amp/sub settings help

I decided to upgrade the sub and amp in my car and bought an Infinity Kappa 120.9W (12 in) and Kappa One amp. The amp can put out 800 watts rms at 2 ohms and 500 watts rms at 4 ohms with a peak of 1600 watts. The sub has an rms of 350 watts and is 2 or 4 ohms select-able with a peak of 1400 watts. My head unit is Pioneer DEH-P8400BH. What do you think the best settings are for a good balance between sql and spl?

Best settings?

That's all subjective, based on what you want to hear. You'd have to find that yourself. I will say this, the enclosure you put the sub in can make or break the performance of the sub. Maxed-out gains are a no-no unless you have a really weak source, which if your head unit is the source, you do not have a weak source. I'd wire to 4 ohms since the amp will more than double the rated RMS wattage if wired down to 2 ohms. 800W may not kill the sub, but if everything else isn't perfect about your setup, it probably will, so I'd stick to the lower output (though since it's more than rated power too it can do damage as well). Hope this helps,and good luck.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

I'm planning on putting it in a q logic sealed box, is that an okay enlcosure?

The best way to determine if an enclosure is good for your setup is to compare the specs of the box (cubic footage, tuning (if ported/forth order/sixth order) with the specs of the subwoofer (recommended enclosure size for the different types of boxes). Generally a ported box requires more area than a sealed one. If that box is around 1-1.5 ft³ you should be okay I'm guessing, but the box and sub manufacturers should have the correct specs.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    why not go with the Kappa 5? Do you already have a 4ch amp for your other speakers in your car?

I already have a 4ch amp that is powering my other speakers in my car. Though that is the goal eventually (then i would have all infinity kappa series speakers and amps in my car).