The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Coilovers Overhaul

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Coilovers Overhaul

Before I parked my black G in the garage a little over 1 year ago I noticed that all of the struts was blown. I got the first gen K-Sport coilover set, the set that is all orange and not black with orange details. They are most likely the same but I'm not 100% shure about that.
    Anyways I'm gonna overhaul em and it's fuckin hard to find the parts I need for the overhaul. Are there anyone here that have overhauled coilovers before that can help me step by step? And give me tips where I can get the parts I need?
    I searched the forums for a thread like this but I'm on Tapatalk so I'm not shure I did it right :-P

define overhaul. are the dampers blown? do you want new spring rates? hardware? what is your goal with the coilovers? there is a place here in the states in california that will overhaul for lack of better words "lower end coilovers" like Ksports, d2, megan, etc and their success stems from the valving which is key in a good damper. Now it's usually about 120 bucks per shock, and you can get them valved for whatever spring rate that you want. Give me some more specifics and I can help you out.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Re: Coilovers Overhaul

I'm not shure if the actual dampers are blown. But since the ride got more and more soft and bouncy I suspected it was the dampers. If I hit a speedbump or a hole the car takes ages before it stops bouncing.
    The springs are ok btw :-)
    Also my suspension setup is the same as the JDM models if that helps.

The springs might look fine, but if you are having the dampers rebuilt that would be the time to get the correct rates for your car / driving style and in a decent quality. Otherwise, it might be easier to find a K-sport dealer and get new dampers. Determine how far you want to dive into this, and I can ask around back home.

Re: Coilovers Overhaul

I just called a Racing Shop here in Norway and theyr gonna look at it tomorrow. Theymight have some parts laying around and if not they could get it.
    I took apart one of the front dampers and spring and adjustment worked fine. Apparently there are a issue with the 1st gen K-Sport/D2 sets. They didn't withstand as long as predicted apperantly. My set has traveled about 40-50000km so my set has worked longer than other buyers sets :-) And with the road conditions over here it's a wonder the dampers didn't collapse earlier lol Made for asphalt track use only but here it's almost rallying XD