The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: FQ400 EvoX

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

FQ400 EvoX

Nice read and a lot of cool features over our USDM evox. Mitsubishi 6 bot brakes, full 3in exhaust, hks filter, center mounted exhaust in the bumper. I was like whoa!

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/mitsubi...0-ar74837.html

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Yet another fine example of how MMC sends great cars all over, but MMNA gets the beshitted end of the Mitsubishi stick.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Yet another fine example of how MMC sends great cars all over, but MMNA gets the beshitted end of the Mitsubishi stick.
    if MMA would have sent over the JDM 7G and 8G the world would be a different place. No Camry/accord/3 series would hold a candle to the performance/luxury/looks of the JDM galants. yes the evo market would have been ruined but much more would be gained in the glanat's segment.

instead we get under powered bloated POS' with laughable options/accessory's. You know the JDM 7G's had navigation as an option lol

as for the FQ400, its an awsome performer, but that rear bumper looks wierd

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Its not MMC, its the US regulations and laws. MMC knows the car wouldnt pass so they dont bother installing/tuning with high-end parts for our market. But yet we have v8s and 10s sucking enormous amounts of gas/diesel polluting the environment - i dont get it.

I was just reading about a Volvo which 5 speed manual trans didnt get certified/approved for the US market. How can you not approve manual transmission?
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

FQ400 EvoX

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    as for the FQ400, its an awsome performer, but that rear bumper looks wierd
    I wouldn't mind a FQ400 kit on my evo, I know someone has done it here in the states, but too much mula!

FQ400 EvoX

Beshitted, excellent world

I somewhat disagree about bringing the jdm 8g over here, at least if it was in place of the USDM 8g (I also disagree on the looks, the USDM version also is quite nice) I think they should have in at least small numbers but the USDM is different than the jdm. No factory forced induction was offered on any trim lines after the 6g (as far as I know) in the US. what MMNA should have done instead (or at least supplement the JDM versions here) would be expanding out in the N/A department early on (which probably is cheaper than getting the jdm versions US emission and safety certified), they didn't even need to build any 6a1x engine here, the MIVEC version of the 6g72 and 6g74 at least match the 6g75 for horsepower, they could have just imported parts for these engines and assembled them here with the existing production blocks. An alternative or supplement to this would be using the 6g74 as an optional engine (and possibly using the 6g72 cams with it) from the factory in at least the 1999 model year, and when they released the 6g75, have that also as an option for the 8g and 2g Diamante with an aggressive cam option.
    Just my 2 cents

Also, the lancer evo line came from the galant vr4 line
    Last edited by foxbrand; 12-10-2012 at 06:53 PM
    Just because something is old, doesn't mean you throw it away

Geordi La Forge

Quote Originally Posted by foxbrand View Post
    Beshitted, excellent world

I somewhat disagree about bringing the jdm 8g over here, at least if it was in place of the USDM 8g (I also disagree on the looks, the USDM version also is quite nice) I think they should have in at least small numbers but the USDM is different than the jdm. No factory forced induction was offered on any trim lines after the 6g (as far as I know) in the US. what MMNA should have done instead (or at least supplement the JDM versions here) would be expanding out in the N/A department early on (which probably is cheaper than getting the jdm versions US emission and safety certified), they didn't even need to build any 6a1x engine here, the MIVEC version of the 6g72 and 6g74 at least match the 6g75 for horsepower, they could have just imported parts for these engines and assembled them here with the existing production blocks. An alternative or supplement to this would be using the 6g74 as an optional engine (and possibly using the 6g72 cams with it) from the factory in at least the 1999 model year, and when they released the 6g75, have that also as an option for the 8g and 2g Diamante with an aggressive cam option.
    Just my 2 cents

Also, the lancer evo line came from the galant vr4 line

i don't see why they wouldn't pass emissions. they have vr-4's in germany and they have much strickter emissions and inspections than here in the us. safetly wise, the cars chassis is the same with the us. only difference is the beefier crash bars. Yes looks are subjective, but combine it with the jdm interiors. and its win.

also i didnt say just about vr-4's even a N/A 6a12 or 13 is a nice little engine. or diesel.

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

FQ400 EvoX

Sorry, it's my own sub rant, although logically if Mitsu imported 7 and 8g's, some number of vr4's would possibly be imported, however the jdm 8g body has some differences compared to the USDM version (for instance the vr4 8g strut tower brace isn't compatible with the USDM 8g)

Anywho back on topic, I seem to remember reading a guy converted a USDM evo to an FQ400 using replacement parts, wasn't remotely cheap or easy
    Just because something is old, doesn't mean you throw it away

Geordi La Forge

FQ400 EvoX

He also got it painted the yellow that's used on Lamborghini's.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbrand View Post
    Sorry, it's my own sub rant, although logically if Mitsu imported 7 and 8g's, some number of vr4's would possibly be imported, however the jdm 8g body has some differences compared to the USDM version (for instance the vr4 8g strut tower brace isn't compatible with the USDM 8g)

Anywho back on topic, I seem to remember reading a guy converted a USDM evo to an FQ400 using replacement parts, wasn't remotely cheap or easy
    the jdm 8G has a 7G front suspension setup. thats why we can use the bar :P

Sometimes its just cheaper to buy the actual thing

lots of misinformation here. here are some facts to give some perspective:

first off, the fq series evo's are not mmc, they were made by ralliart UK and were never sold outside of the UK (they don't even get them in japan)... so u can't even blame mmc for them not being in the US.

the usdm 8g does NOT share a chasis w/ the jdm version; they only look alike but in reality are almost completely different cars.

US crash standards dictate the design of the USDM front and rear bumpers... JDM bumpers do not fit over USDM crash bars/foam w/o modification.

the USDM 8G was made to compete w/ the camry and accord in this market. if the USDM 8G had the same level of luxury and sportiness as the JDM version, it would b priced much higher than the US camry and US accord. in other markets (other countries), the galant was made both more utilitarian (cheaper w/ less luxury), and more high end (more luxury and performance) depending on it's competition. maybe if you want to blame someone, blame mitsu's competitors for making their US versions cheaper than their JDM versions as well. well equipped JDM 8G's had nav, digital climate control, rear power wipers/ internal rear power sunshade curtains, etc. compare them to the diamante in the US competing w/ the accord and camry... they were not in the same class.

honestly, if the 7G vr4 and 8G vr4 were available in the US, they would probably have done horribly and would have lost MMC significant amounts of money. the additional costs of building them LHD (no 7G vr4 or 8G vr4 ever came out of the factory in LHD), testing and adapting to US crash standards, retuning the engines for lower octanes (the US does not have 93+ octane fuel commonly available which the vr4 needs), etc. would have far outweighed any profit they could have made. those additional costs would have made the vr4 too expensive to compete since it would b priced in the range of the european super powers of bmw, benz and audi.

also remember the culture we live in. in the US "bigger is better" and "there is no replacement for displacement"... even though through technology, both of these have been disproved, the mainstream US buyers (the kind that would have bought the camry's, accord's, galant's) still believe those ideas. thus the USDM 8g galant was available w/ the largest engine of any 8g galant... the 6g72 3.0 liter (sohc na).

also you guys are forgetting the eclipse which is based on the USDM galant and was NOT available in japan (well it was but only at one boutique dealership)... MMNA designed and produced the 8g galant AND 3g eclipse in conjunction w/ each other. this was both a logistical and economic move. if the 8g was not so closely designed to the 3g, the 3g's cost would have been much higher to design and produce on it's own. the USDM 8G galant and USDM 3G eclipse actually share more parts than the USDM galant and the JDM galant.
    Last edited by Reelax; 12-17-2012 at 04:15 PM

Very nice info man! I appreciate you chiming in on this. The bumper thing makes a lot of sense, I just figured they designed it because Americans are terrible drivers hahaha.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    lots of misinformation here. here are some facts to give some perspective:

first off, the fq series evo's are not mmc, they were made by ralliart UK and were never sold outside of the UK (they don't even get them in japan)... so u can't even blame mmc for them not being in the US.

the usdm 8g does NOT share a chasis w/ the jdm version; they only look alike but in reality are almost completely different cars.

US crash standards dictate the design of the USDM front and rear bumpers... JDM bumpers do not fit over USDM crash bars/foam w/o modification.

the USDM 8G was made to compete w/ the camry and accord in this market. if the USDM 8G had the same level of luxury and sportiness as the JDM version, it would b priced much higher than the US camry and US accord. in other markets (other countries), the galant was made both more utilitarian (cheaper w/ less luxury), and more high end (more luxury and performance) depending on it's competition. maybe if you want to blame someone, blame mitsu's competitors for making their US versions cheaper than their JDM versions as well. well equipped JDM 8G's had nav, digital climate control, rear power wipers/ internal rear power sunshade curtains, etc. compare them to the diamante in the US competing w/ the accord and camry... they were not in the same class.

honestly, if the 7G vr4 and 8G vr4 were available in the US, they would probably have done horribly and would have lost MMC significant amounts of money. the additional costs of building them LHD (no 7G vr4 or 8G vr4 ever came out of the factory in LHD), testing and adapting to US crash standards, retuning the engines for lower octanes (the US does not have 93+ octane fuel commonly available which the vr4 needs), etc. would have far outweighed any profit they could have made. those additional costs would have made the vr4 too expensive to compete since it would b priced in the range of the european super powers of bmw, benz and audi.

also remember the culture we live in. in the US "bigger is better" and "there is no replacement for displacement"... even though through technology, both of these have been disproved, the mainstream US buyers (the kind that would have bought the camry's, accord's, galant's) still believe those ideas. thus the USDM 8g galant was available w/ the largest engine of any 8g galant... the 6g72 3.0 liter (sohc na).

also you guys are forgetting the eclipse which is based on the USDM galant and was NOT available in japan (well it was but only at one boutique dealership)... MMNA designed and produced the 8g galant AND 3g eclipse in conjunction w/ each other. this was both a logistical and economic move. if the 8g was not so closely designed to the 3g, the 3g's cost would have been much higher to design and produce on it's own. the USDM 8G galant and USDM 3G eclipse actually share more parts than the USDM galant and the JDM galant.
    8G jdm chasis might not be the same. but the 7G JDM is identical to the us 7G. the JDM crash bars are thinner (piece of tin) that is the only difference.

also there were LHD EDM 7G's made. Just all Vr-4's were RHD

The octane thing is 100% false. While the us and every other part of the world use the word octane they derive the number or octane rating differently. So 93 octane in the US is actually 98 octane in Europe. In Europe, the Research Octane Number (RON) standard is used, whereas the US uses an average of MON and RON, the Anti-Knock Index (AKI). In comparison, AKI 91 octane in the US is the equivalent of RON 95 octane in Europe

8G jdm chasis might not be the same. but the 7G JDM is identical to the us 7G. the JDM crash bars are thinner (piece of tin) that is the only difference.
    ... and that's why the USDM bumpers have to be bigger, to fit over the bigger USDM mandated crash bars, like i said.

also there were LHD EDM 7G's made. Just all Vr-4's were RHD
    of course there were LHD worldspec 7G's (not just EDM, there are a bunch of LHD countries outside of europe and north america that mitsu sells cars in). there were LHD worldspec 8G's too, but i was explaining why they didn't bring the 7G vr4 and 8G vr4 over to the US; they would be too expensive to compete in their segment and would, by virtue of price, be up against the more prestigious brands (ie. bmw, benz, audi. etc.) and thus would not be very successful since volume of sales would not exceed the costs incurred by MMC.

The octane thing is 100% false. While the us and every other part of the world use the word octane they derive the number or octane rating differently. So 93 octane in the US is actually 98 octane in Europe. In Europe, the Research Octane Number (RON) standard is used, whereas the US uses an average of MON and RON, the Anti-Knock Index (AKI). In comparison, AKI 91 octane in the US is the equivalent of RON 95 octane in Europe
    even if you put the octance ratings on the same scale, US super unleaded = 97 RON, JAPAN premium = 100 RON, GERMANY ultimate = 102 RON.

the real issue here is the complaints that "we always get screwed in having the weaker, softer, less equipped, uglier versions of cars that europe and asaia get". well to a degree that is true, but keep in mind, we also don't pay as much for our version as those markets do. if we got the versions they were getting, we'd also have to pay more for them (just like they do): this is the part that is always ignored. just becasue we have galants and they have galants, does it stand that we should have all the things their versions have at the same price we pay for ours? the reason the versions we get are dulled down is economics and intended market segment. what the buyers in this market (US) are willing to pay for these cars and for what their intended use and demographic are dictate the price and equipment. if you were comparing a 2000 camry and a 2000 galant, when they were new, for example, but the galant had all the bells and whistles that the JDM version had (looks notwithstanding since i allready explained why the bumpers needed to be and look different in the US than the rest of the world, because of the NHTSA), and the camry had pretty much what our galants have, the loaded galant would then cost thousands more, even 5 to 10 thousand more... at that point it would not b able to compete with the camry in sales anymore and would move into a different segment where it would absolutely not be able to compete (luxury european or high-end asian import). in the US the galant was merely a grocery-getter, a family car, a middle of the road offering, while in japan and many other markets, the galant was more of a luxury sport sedan/wagon and was so equiped. think of the the other cars in that category over here and if the galant would fare well against them sales wise. in order for the galant to sell, it had to offer what the other automakers were offering in the same segment, at near the same price point (and even then it didn't do so well). imagine how poor sales would have been if the USDM galant was loaded but became the most expensive in its class by far. buyers looking for those amenities (that we don't get in our version) would be looking at more premium cars in the automaker's line (diamante) or even to other automakers and brands enitrely at that point (acura, lexus, infinit for example).
    Last edited by Reelax; 12-19-2012 at 05:42 AM

i agree with you in alot of that.

you don't think they should of did what nissan did whit infinity? made a luxury division?

I agree however Infiniti (Lexus and Acura) only exists because they thought that Americans wouldn't pay more a for luxury version of there cars, this has been more or less proven by the flopping of the VW Phaeton, although they could have started with the Diamante in the states as a complete sub brand