The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil pan gasket advice?

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Oil pan gasket advice?

I smelled oil burning so I got under the car today and it look like its the oil pan gasket.

I was wondering if I should just get any old parts store gasket or do you guys recommend another kind? Thanks.

Sent from an iPhone...sorry:(

The oil pan doesnt have a gasket, its RTV bonded from factory.

Either get mitsubond rtv or Right stuff 1 minute gasket maker from any parts store
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i personally use toyota bond on all my motors and its half the price of the mitsu rtv and better. i asked my local mitsu dealer parts manager about it and he said its just normal black rtv relabeled.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Permatex Ultra Copper. Never had a leak with it.

I used a oil pan gasket and 1 minute gasket, never had a leak. just make sure both surfaces are clean

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

It might be more than just the oil pan gasket. The oil pan sits below the headers and doesn't come in contact with the exhaust . Might be your rear valve cover leaking oil as well. But yeah just try using a gasket maker or a gasket then see if it still burns oil. For me my rear and front valve cover are leaking oil and that drips onto the headers which causes this burned oil scent and smoke.

Oil pan gasket advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    It might be more than just the oil pan gasket. The oil pan sits below the headers and doesn't come in contact with the exhaust . Might be your rear valve cover leaking oil as well. But yeah just try using a gasket maker or a gasket then see if it still burns oil. For me my rear and front valve cover are leaking oil and that drips onto the headers which causes this burned oil scent and smoke.
    I have the 4 cylinder, and I can see exactly where it's leaking on to the exhaust flex pipe that runs under the pan.

I hope it doesn't catch fire till I can find time to work on it...

I just changed my oil pan on my i4 for the 2nd time in it's lifetime and I've used the Felpro exact fit gasket from advance auto parts. I also used the mitsubishi sealant to hold the gasket on. Never had a leak with Felpro. It's about $8 for the gasket -

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...pro_15780610-p

Oil pan gasket advice?

I think I'll get the gasket and put a thin coat of the black sealant on it.

Have fun retightening in a short period of time again and again. All the manufacturers have learned rtv alone is the best product for front covers and oil pans.

Oil pan gasket advice?

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    Have fun retightening in a short period of time again and again. All the manufacturers have learned rtv alone is the best product for front covers and oil pans.
    For real?

Ahh alright I'll try it without the gasket.

Thanks for the inspiration y'all

Oil pan gasket advice?

Ok all done looks good. I let it cure for an hour with my torpedo heater blowing on it. Then I ran it till it got to normal operating temp. Then let it sit another half hour. Then I took it to the car wash to rinse off all the PB blaster, then let it sit again for about 45min. Then on the way to the store with the family had a strong smell of plastic burning ? Popped the hood and its smoking?? Is it still burning off the PB blaster ? Is the rtv burning and smoking? Will it go away soon? I'm worried about fire!!!???

Oil pan gasket advice?

Oh here

Oil pan gasket advice?

Ok it has seemed to stopped? I've been letting it idle while the wife's in the store?

It happened when I changed the oil pan too, it was because some oil spilt on the exhaust pipe. Once it burns off, the smell and the smoke stops. Usually will take a couple of days if you drive less.

RTV is picky. After successful installation it's supposed to sit for 2-4 hours before coming in contact with petroleum products or engine heat. Takes 24 hours to fully cure.

Oil pan gasket advice?

So far so good...

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    RTV is picky. After successful installation it's supposed to sit for 2-4 hours before coming in contact with petroleum products or engine heat. Takes 24 hours to fully cure.
    Ah it's leaking a little again!! I'll do it one more time and let it cure for 24hrs this time. :(

After cleaning prepping and spreading the rtv again immediately install it but only finger tighten the bolts. Then come back in an hour to torque to spec in sequence and if you don't have torque wrench just use a nut driver. It takes very little to tighten.

7g Dirt Racer- 95 Galant- 4g64,5speed swap, external coil, dohc swap, 60mm t.b., b.s., a.c., p.s. delete, battery relocate.
    7g Street- 94 Galant GS- 2.0 4g63t, awd conversion, auto swap, 98 gsx ecu, fmic, maft, bs delete.
    3g 00 eclipse gt 3.0 at

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    After cleaning prepping and spreading the rtv again immediately install it but only finger tighten the bolts. Then come back in an hour to torque to spec in sequence and if you don't have torque wrench just use a nut driver. It takes very little to tighten.
    Hey thanks for the info :)