The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cylinder Head Conversion

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Cylinder Head Conversion

Hi, I have a 1998 Galant 2.0GLS and after doing some research I'm planning on converting the cylinder head from single cam to a twin cam. I have bought an Evo 4 twin cam cylinder head which has been rebuild, I am just wondering what other parts I will need. I know I will need a new head gasket set, cam belt and possibly tensioners but just want to check if there is anything else that will need changing like oil pumps or injectors etc. I have found out that the compressions are different, in the GLS its 7.8/1 and the evo 4 has a compression ratio of 8.8/1. I have found a website/forum http://projectzerog.com/sohc-dohc.shtml which lists some of the timing parts that are different, but I was wondering if there is anything else that needs replace.

Thanks for your help in advance

It cant be that the CR is 7.8:1, it just cant. For a N/A engine you're looking at 9.0:1 or 9.5:1.

Besides the timing belt for Evo4-9, everything else should be fine. The boots for the coils might need to be shortened in order to work with the DOHC head. You are also going to need the intake manifold from evo.

Dont look at this site. Its meant for US models and from what you are posting you dont have one.
    Last edited by mko; 12-17-2012 at 06:01 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

yes i had thought that the compression ratio i had found was a bit low as normally a lower compression ratio is for engines being turbo'd so i was confused why it was less than the evo's, but i could not find any other information. would i need to replace the intake? would i also need to replace the exhaust manifold aswell then? the galant i have is a JDM import

You need intake manifold off of evo 4-8.Either keep your throttle body or get an Evo one. You can still use the actual intake pipe and air filter. No you dont need to replace the exhaust manifold.

Build Thread

ok cool, thanks for your help. is there anything else you can think of that will need replacing?

IDK what the deal is with the water pipe and thermostat housings, but I believe you'll need both parts off evo 4-8.

Build Thread

ok, thanks very much for your help. if there is anything else you can think of could you let me know as i'm hoping the take the head off sometime over christmas

just a quick question, would I need to get an evo 4 head gasket, or would the galant gasket do the job?

yes evo gasket

Build Thread