The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: sub enclosure help

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

sub enclosure help

So I'm looking at getting a new sub enlcosure for 2 subs (12'' infinity kappa 120.9w) and im not quite sure where to get my box from. Does anyone know of any reputable brands or boxes that would work? Here is some links to ones I found on my own.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Metra+-+...&skuId=4845648
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777BB12...54#details-tab
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777BB12...er.html?tp=554

I'm also still deciding between ported or sealed so any advice is welcome.

thanks

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    sealed ;)

What do you listen to? I like ported boxes myself, and rap tends to lend itself to ported boxes IMO, but sealed boxes are good for just about any kind of music. Sealed boxes can be smaller than ported boxes, but subs can generally handle more power in ported boxes because the port adds efficiency and the port allows for cooling airflow. Ported boxes get louder than sealed boxes, but only in a specific range of frequencies, and in that range they can sound peaky, sealed boxes tend to have a flat response throughout the entire frequency band, which is good for sound quality.

As far as the size of your box, the TS parameters that came with your subwoofers should tell you what size box to use with your subs depending on if you go ported or sealed, the ported box is gonna need to be larger than the sealed one. My 12" Infinity Reference 1262w calls for a 1.25 ft³ sealed box and a 2.0 ft³ ported box. I bought a Bass Bunker ported box from Crutchfield that seems to work perfectly. Hope this helps, good luck!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

I listen to a variety of music (rock,rap, as well as some screamo). The guy at my local stereo shop has told me that a box should be made of at least 1'' mdf, is this true? I was going to buy the bass bunker ported box as i have read reviews saying its a good box but it's only made of 5/8" mdf. I have looked and been unable to find any boxes above 3/4" so I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about.

1" MDF is overkill for subwoofers not seeing 2KW RMS. You're under 1KW RMS, 5/8" is fine. The theory is that the thicker the MDF the better to resist box flex, but unless you have a poorly designed box running crazy amounts of power, it's not an issue you'll see have any negative impact on your sound output, especially at regular power levels.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

okay thanks for clearing that up for me.

eggyhustles
    Infinite baffle>sealed all day

OP, why not get a custom design instead of buying some pos prefab online? A sub is only as good as the environment that it's in.

Bringing up an old topic, not sure which direction you went with, but here's a write up I made on building a sub box. It's pretty simple. The interior measurement is the most important part, then just making sure it's solid. I prefer sealed boxes, as they are punchier...but if you want to make it ported, that's not that hard either.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...imple-Sub-Box/
    Last edited by CHICAGO_ONE; 02-13-2013 at 04:59 PM

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    I have mny infinity kappa 12" in a ported stuffed with poly