The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4cyl shocks on V6.

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

4cyl shocks on V6.

Title says it all.
    My left-front shock is going out, and I need a cheap temporary fix until I can afford KYBs and lowering springs.
    I remember hearing somewhere that 4cyl shocks would lower the front a little bit, so the massive gap was a little smaller. I just wanted to confirm before I went to LKQ and spent $50 for the pair of front shocks that they would bolt up with no issues.

You won't find front shocks for your 8G V6 Galant. The front has struts.

If you search for struts for your model year and engine size, and compare that to the V6 and 4 cyl, you may be surprised. :P
    Last edited by polishmafia; 01-04-2013 at 03:46 PM

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Okay, so I see that the 4cyl and V6 use the same struts... based on part# info from Rock Auto, at least. So I'm assuming that this means that the springs on a 4cyl are what I want for the desired effect (which is lowering the front to eliminate fender gap).
    Am I correct in this assumption?
    Also, polishmafia, that is a sexy Genny.

Thanks for the compliment.

You would be better off saving your money and getting new struts/shocks and lowering springs for the front and rear. There's no reason to spend money on springs if the shock is going out on the front left.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Well, the whole assembly is $25 with the spring, so until I can save up enough for a new set of coilovers, it seems like an okay investment. Temporary fix that makes it a little less uneven. I deliver pizza in the Galant right now, so I just want to get a cheap, quick fix. There weren't any V6 Galants at the junkyard, so I just wanted to double check that the 4cyl parts would work.

Back in the day I replaced my worn struts on the v6 with some low mileage 4cyl struts. It seemed to put the front end down maybe an inch lower (less eyesore), I could be crazy but it seemed like it did lower it a little lol.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    did you try finding v6 eclipse?