The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wingzero's Quest for Form and Function

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 91

Wingzero's Quest for Form and Function

So I've been contemplating on whether or not should I make a build thread of my car and finally convinced myself, its time. My goal with my car is to make it a daily driven, take it to the track when I want to, but still has form for when I go to car shows and events. Basicaly Form=Function.

Current list of Mods:
    Drilled/Sloted front disks
    Weapon-R Dragon intake
    NGK spark plugs
    NGK wires
    Penzoil 5W-30 (10w-30 in the winter)
    Megan Racing headers
    Megan Racing Exhaust
    K Sport Kontrol Pro coil overs
    Motegi Racing MR-122 18" x 8
    5speed transmisson swap
    Exedy stage 1 clutch
    OEM Flywheel
    Megan Racing Short shifter
    '02-'03 tail lights

Ok, to be honest, I was conned into buying my 2001 6G72. I was looking at buying a DC5 type-s when my mother somehow convinced me that four doors and a bigger back seat was better -__- not to mention when I was getting a quote for insurance, the DC5 was damn near $350 a month because I was purchasinhg my first car and I was 19 at the time.

Heres The Decepticon after I inexperiancly threw on some rims from an Audi A4 and an Audi A6 because I knew nothing about bolt patterns at the time lol. but it still looked good though.

Days later after getting some expert advice from a friend I quickly threw my steelies back on until I could affored a real set of rims. So for about 3 years it looked like this

Then before I got my Motegi's, I re-paited my calipers green. Because lets be honest, everybody does red. I'm different (in my 2 Chainz voice) lol

In December 2010, I bought my Megan racing headers. I let then sit in my closet until I was able to get an exhaust kit as well because I wanted to do a full exhaust and didn't want to go under the car more than I had to.

2012 is when Things got real.

For my 23rd birthday my mom said "This is gonna be your last big birthday present and then from here on out your getting clothes. Your getting too old to be getting expensive stuff!" lol so I asked her to give me $200 for the rims I wanted. Instead, she went ahead and bought me the rims with a set of Nexen tires. BEST. MOTHER. EVER!!!!

Right before my mother bought me my dream wheels, I was looking into getting a set of coilovers for the Decepticon. I ran across a post on ebay of a guy parting out his '01 Galant that blew a head gasket. And would'nt you know, he had a set of Ksports on his G and he was selling then for $400!!!! I could'nt let that opportunity pass so I hit him Up and set up a payment and shipping arrangement. I'm a broke college student on the come up so I make deals when I can.

About two weeks pass after I get the rims and my coilovers finally arive at the door step and it was like christmas all over again LOL. I waited until I had a day off from work to install them and tweek the hight to where I felt it should be.

My mom's birthday was about a week after I instlled my coilovers. ME, her and my littler brother are out getting lunch and we passed a Mini dealership and there was her dream car. A Mercedes SL500. we stop to check it out and it was actually a SL600. I convinced her to try to get it but she didn't think she could but I said just try. Here's the Decepticon stalking all the little Minis lol

Some months pass and a new track opens up about an hour away from my house called AMP, Atlanta Motorsports Park. A friend tells me that if we go help set up the tire walls they give us free track days. We rushed up there and earnd our 2 track days.

After dreaming about doing the 5speed swap in my car since 2009, I was finally able to make the Decepticon come alive. But before I did the swap, I decided it was time to start getting rid of the fake wood looking plastic trims and put some color into the car. So here's where I've left off.

Then I was ready for the swap. Now before I get bombed, I know some of those parts actually don't go to a V6, trust me I found out the hard way -__- thank God for summit and their return policies lol

I dont actually have the tools to do the swap so I gave it to the shop I was going to at the time and they were nice enough to do it for me. The guy really didnt know what he was doing even though I gave him all the links to TGC. But three months later I finally got my baby back. I couldn't be more happy about the swap. Best mod I've done to my car ever.

After doing the swap, Forged Performance was having their annual open house and dyno day. Instead of $200 for three pulls on the dyno, it was $50. I jumped on that shit when I heard it just to see what the car was pushing. after the pulls here are the results

Waiting in line for his turn.

I really don't do decals on my car but heres the few I had to have on my car.

Remember whenI went to go check out that SL600 with my mom? Well every first sunday here in Georgia, theres a meet called Caffeine and Octane. Its where all the big ballers and old hotrod guys show their beast off to us commoners lol. Heres the Decepticon next to my mom's '05 V12 twin turbo AMG SL600 and an Aventador. somebody tell my mom to get off my car lol

This decemper I finally got my exhuast kit. After having a set of headers in my closet, it was time to install them bad boys. Me and my dad spent a weekend doing it, ran into some problems but Black8GV6 was nice enough to help me out with my questions.

Well this is where this post ends but I'll keep everyone up to date on my journey =D

A few months ago, I stopped to do a random photo shoot with my car and here they are.

Last edited by Wingzero; 02-21-2013 at 04:52 PM

Nice Progress, Car Looks good.

Nice job so far getting a little more excitement out of the 6g72. A diamante manifold swap would be an easy and notable upgrade at this point.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Those are like the smallest pics ever. Is that your camera or you sizing them down that way?
    91 Galant VR4 -Samara- #550/2000

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    Nice job so far getting a little more excitement out of the 6g72. A diamante manifold swap would be an easy and notable upgrade at this point.
    Thanks. I was actually gonna do that next once I figure out how to get the cells to stop popping up from doing the 5speed swap.

Quote Originally Posted by GSX_TC View Post
    Those are like the smallest pics ever. Is that your camera or you sizing them down that way?
    Actually I think its just the way I uploaded them on image shack. I'm kind of a newbie to the who forum thing lol. But all my pictures are in 1080p. Just click on them to go to make them bigger.

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar

Re: Wingzero's Quest for Form and Function

I believe I'm following you on instagram. Nice progress so far.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

thats the thing, when you click on them they are still small as crap. make yourself an account on Photobucket and step up your uploading game, you'll thank me later.
    91 Galant VR4 -Samara- #550/2000

Quote Originally Posted by Rach3T8G View Post
    I believe I'm following you on instagram. Nice progress so far.

Thanks man! whats your IG name. I might be following you too?

So I can't belive I road around with this busted coolant tank for three years. Shame on me I know. lol But its ok because I finally got another tank and replaced the old ratty one.

The coolant reservior doesn't hold pressure so you wouldn't have noticed temp changes.

To me it looks like someone need some room to work near the motor mount and let it rest near the exhaust manifold while it was hot.

Actually my radiator blew and the cap wasnt on good enough and somehow all the hot coolant and heat blowing through the hose melted that huge hole and most of the original hoses. shit got real lol.

Nice build thread so far, keep it coming! 6G7X's FTW!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar

Re: Wingzero's Quest for Form and Function

Quote Originally Posted by Wingzero View Post
    Thanks man! whats your IG name. I might be following you too?
    I'm superbad3G on IG

- Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

So I found this lip for what looks like a 7G VR4 and was thinking about geting it for my 8G. I think it would look pretty good. Also about to order some more goodies for the Decepticon too.

Experienced TGC Member
    Great progress with the car, and nice snag on the suspension. Love my KSports!

If you want to make the most of the exhaust and stuff, get yourself a Tactrix 2.0 cable and get that thing tuned. That alone makes a big difference for the performance even for a stock motor with just an intake, add the full exhaust and a manifold swap (the stock ones on this platform suck), and you can get better responce out of everything.

Thanks man. I want to lower it more but I'm not investing in anymore oil pans lol. I was waiting for it to not be cold anymore to go get another intake manifold and throttle body.

Got another goodie in the mail today. My Megan Racing short shifter came. It only took me about 10min to install. Now I'm just waiting for my Evo 8wing to finally come in and I think I'll be looking into paint.

Nice. Hopefully ill start buying some goods for the g when i get my $$$.

Before you install the evo 8 wing test fit it and take pics. IMO the wing will look out of place if you do not have a body kit. The taller the wing the lower the car needs to be to the ground (with a body kit).
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast