The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wingzero's Quest for Form and Function

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Showing results 81 to 91 of 91
    Hey guys just popping in to annoy you a bit and check in with y'all. I've been busy with life as usual but I am back up and running. Here's my new car that I bought for my birthday.

Its an 06 and still in the original motor. It has 116xxx miles and only had one owner. I do know about the heavy maintenance the rotary requirea but I believe I can handle it. I do plan to buy another Galant again as I do miss my old G but the next one will be even more bad ass performance wise than my last. But for now I'm living the rotary life.

So you can't afford to maintain or modify a cheap/reasonably gas efficient Mitsu, and you replace it with a rather high mileage RX8? Have fun with 13-19 mpg, checking oil at each fill-up, risking engine death from carbon buildup (which is likely on a car with higher/likely highway miles) and that just costs more to own in general.

Homeboy, you done messed up.

While rotary is not my cup of tea, 116k for an 8 yr old car is no very high. Don't know about the carbon build ups on those cars or their mpg's. Just don't run cheap gas for sure.

Congrats on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    While rotary is not my cup of tea, 116k for an 8 yr old car is no very high. Don't know about the carbon build ups on those cars or their mpg's. Just don't run cheap gas for sure.

Congrats on the car.
    1) Avoid flooding the engine with fuel..you will have a VERY hard time getting it started, 2)change oil & check oil regularly and use the good stuff not the cheap $hit, and 3) do not perform an intake induction cleaning service other than cleaning the TB(see number one)
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post

Congrats on the car.
    15k/year, higher than the national average.

All rotaries are gas hogs, just a natural consequence.

http://www.rx8club.com/series-i-tech...ild-up-138844/

http://www.rx8club.com/new-member-fo...t-here-202454/

^Not a cheap/easy car to own, nor is it one for lazy people/those who do not do preventative maintenance.

IE: Probably not good for someone who let their tires get down to this:

Sorry to ruin your little rant blue but actually that was my only real mistake when owning my Galant. Granted, it could have been worse but none the less my only real mistake. Other than that, I changed the galants oil every other month and checked the levels constantly until it was time to change. I flushed all my fluids many a time, trans, coolant system and even replaced the freon just for the hell of it. I've also been looking at getting one of these for quit a while now and have been on the RX-8 club reading all the new owner sections back and forth, hell I've been to the Mazda dealership just to pick the brains of the master techs on good rules of thumbs on how to maintain and take care of a rotary engine. So I think I'm pretty well equipped with information and help around where I live if I run into any problems or need help with anything. But thanks for the 2ยข though

^^The second link in Cody's post had a very long, informative must-read for any new or prospective RX-8 owner, and within that link was this one paragraph in red that absolutely tells the tale for me and would keep my lazy ass out of a Renesis-powered vehicle:

If possible engine failure makes you that uncomfortable and/or paranoid, then this is not the car for you. You have to accept the issues or ownership will turn into a nightmare. It still could anyway, but your mindset going in is far more important than statistics. The more prepared you are, financially and mentally, the less of a problem any of this will actually be for you.
    Now I'm not saying you shouldn't have bought what you wanted, but I hope you're prepared. They paint a bleak picture for pre-2009 8's and you are gonna have to stay on top of that thing! Congrats and good luck, because they supposedly drive like a dream!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by mysticj View Post
    3) do not perform an intake induction cleaning service other than cleaning the TB(see number one)
    I had one other person tell me this. I'll have to go read up on this more.

congrats on the ride
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Quote Originally Posted by Wingzero View Post
    I had one other person tell me this. I'll have to go read up on this more.
    The Renesis is a decent engine, could been a better engineered though. The RX8 drives almost like a Miata since they are build on share platform.
    Using quality fuel can reduce carbon build up in a rotary but the oil lubricated apex seals don't help. I wish the Renesis had a higher compression, peripheral intake ports, and GDI
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Congrats on the new car and best of luck

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345