The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: alternator replacement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 47
    Quote Originally Posted by BLOCK8732 View Post
    Hey guys just changed my alt today it was a breeze but also its snowing outside but it needed to be done. Anyway I'm still having charging problems. My new Duralast alt didn't charge at all and my old one gave a lil charge if I drive for a lil. It would give me enough charge so I could start my car and let it warm up for about a min then the car may cut off or lights would go dim. Can anybody help me out with this. Any help any input will be good. Thanx in advance
    Did AutoZone bench test your replacement alternator before you left the store? They are supposed to.
    T.I. 04 BUILD YOUR OWN

Belts are tight and thee battery is good. Checcking wires now well in a few min once I go back outside.

Yea they did the test on my alt while it was still on the car. While car was running it read 12v

12v is not enough, remove alt and have them bench test, do a true load test on battery, double check wires and alt fuse.
    Last edited by w/oarctic7g; 01-26-2013 at 01:46 PM

I could've sworn I replied to this thread yesterday. Anyway has anyone tried the duralast alt. That's the replacement one I got

Nevamind I see now I'm on the second page of this thread. Thanx ill take my old alt and get it bench tested along with the new alt. And retest the battery. Its a walmart battery that's still under warranty so I probably just replace that

Quote Originally Posted by BLOCK8732 View Post
    Yea they did the test on my alt while it was still on the car. While car was running it read 12v
    They should have bench tested your new alt before you walked out of the store with it.
    T.I. 04 BUILD YOUR OWN

sorry had the flu for awhile felt like death ugh, anyway went out there this morning.....how in the world am i supposed to loosen the belt to start this??

Quote Originally Posted by chessx View Post
    sorry had the flu for awhile felt like death ugh, anyway went out there this morning.....how in the world am i supposed to loosen the belt to start this??
    Which belt??
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Ok I put my old alt back on until I could get a mitsu alt. Car was fine for awhile until last night. I started my car and my dash lights were dim and it had a slow start because it was freezing cold last night so I can understand that but all lights were dim my heat had cut off and the radio had cut offbut as soon as I let my parking brake down everything cut back on and my lights were back bright and my tachometer was working again. Oh and when its freezing cold outside my horn gets stuck when I blow it sometimes. I actually had it go off by itself around 3 or 4 in the morning. It was like someone was in my car just holding the horn button

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    Which belt??
    serpentine one around the alternator

The horn pads go bad in front of the air bag and to get a new one the whole air bag has to be replaced. So i
    bypassed it with two momentary contact switches drilled into the airbag cover on the sides so to not interfere with
    the air bag should it need to go off like so.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTower89 View Post
    The horn pads go bad in front of the air bag and to get a new one the whole air bag has to be replaced. So i
    bypassed it with two momentary contact switches drilled into the airbag cover on the sides so to not interfere with
    the air bag should it need to go off like so.
    Ummm wrong topic!!!
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Check belts, cables, grounds, battery terminals and battery itself, a bad cell won't accept incoming charge from a good alternator.

Sent from Tapatalk 2 using my Rooted DROID BIONIC on Android ICS
    Im getting the same thing but the only difference my dash e-break and battery light start flashing at the same time when i slow down for a speed bump.
    Idle is staying at 2k rpm. Auto Zone tested everything telling me it's all good. Cleaned and replaced positive battery post then didn't have any problems for about 1 week. Last night it started again.
    There are times where my car doesn't turn on before work and i tap the starter and it runs. Don't know what to replace first. Will be doing this check and post the results in a few hours

Edit: what is the process to check the tension on the belts. Was told quarter of a turn loose but don't know if it's full straight or soft touch.
    Last edited by gallant; 02-07-2013 at 05:43 AM

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    Ummm wrong topic!!!
    Yes i understand that i was just referring to block8732 post about why the horn is getting stuck and staying on
    sorry for the confusion

Got it fixed.
    New atl
    New starter
    Battery was still good

well guys I'm back cracked a rib, and just getting back on my feet, bought a new battery today, still getting the battery and brake light, so time heals ribs not alternators, still having trouble getting it out

Trying to get atl out of an 8gen galant?
    Pm me and ill walk you through it with pictures ;)

ah wish i checked back sooner i was stuck getting those damn bolts off, they havent been moved since the car was made i assume, finally got everything cept the one on bottom off, screamed for a few hours tried some more, finally caved in and paid a friend 40 bucks to do it, ill still pm you for the walkthrough, next time its all me

u could always check it the old fashion way and crank the car remove the positve battery cable and if the car cuts off the alt is bad. just saying. but a bad ground a bad starter a negative dead cell in ur battery any thing my battery had a dead cell in it and it was tested fine but it wouldnt charge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast