The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: will this trans fit my 7g

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

will this trans fit my 7g

I picked up a KF5M2 trans and 5 speed parts out of a 94 Plymouth Laser. Our Galants use a FF5M3. The spacer plate from the Plymouth it looks like all but one of the mounting bolt holes will align (but I could not see if lower bolt holes aligned). One major bolt hole on the side does not align because the KF5M2 is narrower than the KF5M3.
    Anyone know if this Plymouth trans will work? I believe it was mated to a 7 bolt 4g63 (non-turbo) DOHC.
    Will the 7 bolt flywheel from the Plymouth work in my Galant? If so do I need to a Plymouth starter?
    If anything else from the Plymouth would work on a 7g let me know. If there is anything anyone is lookinng for let me know and I will approach the owner. I should be able to get anything you needed for a very reasonable price as it is heading to the scrap yard in a couple of weeks. Motor and head are both toast; valve thru the piston and chewed up the head. Let me know what you want and I'll ask the owner. Its heading to the scrap yard in a couple of weeks.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

it should bolt up and thats the only thing im certain of. About Flywheel and starter I really cant tell, but if you use the Eclipse flywheel then def. use the starter too. IDk how it will work if you mismatch them. You also need to worry about the axles.
    The biggest problem here is the bell housing since 1g use 1 mount bell housings and 7g use 3 mount bell housing. You can swap bell housings and make it work or fab up some custom mounts
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i can't find anything on that transmission number, but a 1G FWD tranny should be F5M22 for non turbo 1.8 and 2.0s and F5M33 for turbo FWDs. All FWDs use the same flywheel so no need to change that over, same starter, just im pretty sure the axle splines into the front hub are different, i know ours are the same as a 2G but not sure on 1Gs.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

I was going to do same thing a while back but went another route, if the bell housing swap didn't work I was just going to use short chains for the front and rear mounts. I know sounds kinda back yard but don't see why it wouldn't work as its only preventing it from torquing excessively back and forth.

Started digging in to see what all I got. Trans is a F5M22. While I was told it was a 7 bolt flywheel, it is really a 6 bolt. Plymouth clutch is smaller in diameter than Galant's clutch. The Plymouth flywheel appears to be about the same diameter as the Galant (still have to measure it) but it is not as deep. Going to have to use a Galant flywheel (because Plymouth's is 6 bolt) which probably means I'll need a 5 speed Galant starter. The Plymouth pressure plate aligns and fits the Galant flywheel. As MKO mentioned the biggest concern is the F5M22 appears to have only one mounting point (on top of trans) instead of the three mounts found on the Galant trans. Trans came with three mounts but they must have attached to the engine block because I can't find any other mounting places on the F5M22 trans. Looks like I should have pulled the trans myself as I would have realized it was not going to be a direct swap. The other thing I notices is the speed sensor is different on the F5M22 (shorter and has differnet fitting to attach the spedo cable to). Usng misc spare parts I can tell you the Galant's axle splines fit the trans and the Galant clutch spline also fit the F5M22 trans input shaft. It look like the trans will bolt up just fine (only one bolt will not align). Probbaly smarter to just keep looking for F5M33 trans but i may give this a shot. I am not sure of the following:
    1. As F5M22 Bellhousing in smaller than the Galant bellhousing, will the Galant flywheel even fit?
    2. Will the clutch fork have enough movement to work the clutch?
    3. How will the Galant axles fit length wise as the F5M22 trans is narrower than the Galant F5M33 trans?
    4. Will Plymouth shifter and shifter cables work for Galant?
    5. Will Plymouth pedals fit Galant (probably won't)
    Last edited by eksz; 01-20-2013 at 11:47 PM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

1. The best way is to have the pressure plate mounted on the galant flywheel and then try to center it and push the whole depth of it and then some in the bellhousing.
    2. if the flywheel fits then yes
    3.the best way is to line up the transmissions side by side and measure the distance between axle seal and the end of bell housing.
    4. No
    5.No
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

any updates on fitment

Not all fwd flywheels are same in a 1g 6 bolt there's a difference between turbo and n/t for some reason, cuz I have a non turbo 6bolt 2.0 in my 94 galant with a 5 speed out of a 97 galant I think with n/t flywheel and it won't work at all. My project has been on hold for months because of this and because i own a jeep now! Lol I need turbo fwd flywheel even tho I don't even have turbo motor.

I passed on trying to use the F5M22 trans on my galant's 4G64 as it would only have a single trans mout to carry it instead of the three trans mounts and one engine mounr as found on our 7g with a manual trans. The donor car had three mounts for the engine and only one for the trans. I picked up a 5 speed out of a 1995 Galant S so going to do the 5 speed swap with the correct parts. I happened to be in CA helping the inlaws move over Memorial Day weekend and the local pick and pull was having a half price sale on trans and motors. I got the trans, fly wheel, trans mounts, starter, adaptor plate and a year waranty on the trans for $180. Another $60 got me the pedals, shifter cables and shifter.
    jjj