The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What is the firing order for the 1997 6g74.?

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    clebrowns88

What is the firing order for the 1997 6g74.?

[IMG]C:\Users\Dustin\Desktop\97 firing order 6g74.jpg[/IMG]

This is the image my Chilton gives me for the 6g74. This is showing #5 & #6 pistons(left two pistons on motor) wires go to the top 2 spots on the distributor cap, #3 & #4 pistons(middle two pistons on motor) go to the middle two spots on the cap and the #1 & #2 pistons(they are the right two pistons if looking at engine) are wires to the bottom two on the cap.

Can someone else with a 6g74 in their car tell me how their wires are arranged to the pistons? I would reaaaaalllly appreciate it.

Im afraid mine are backwards, bottom to #1 & 2 pistons, etc..

Also need help figuring out which spark plug wire i would connect the timing light to.. i hooked up the timing light to the back left piston(#6 in photo) spark plug wire and the timing was showing it to be to the left of the notch in the valve cover, i believe if its to the left its advanced... right?

I did a tune up and im not sure if my wires are right, but i dont think the car would fire up if i had the wiring for the spark plugs backwards..

thanks
    Last edited by clebrowns88; 01-22-2013 at 09:45 PM

clebrowns88
    C:\Users\Dustin\Desktop\97 firing order 6g74.jpg

trying to post this photo... im a frickin newbie and dont know how to work these forums.

Do i have to have a website with pictures on it? it wont take them from my computer and display the photograph??

HERES A LINK TO THE PHOTO

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=6g74+...90&tx=74&ty=95

firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6, the #1 cylinder is the rear bank's passenger's side cylinder, #6 is the front bank's driver's side cylinder

edit, the link you posted is to a JDM model Mitsubishi that has a 6g74, those have the transmission and the engine flipped around, which is done with changes to the transmission

clebrowns88
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbrand View Post
    firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6, the #1 cylinder is the rear bank's passenger's side cylinder, #6 is the front bank's driver's side cylinder

edit, the link you posted is to a JDM model Mitsubishi that has a 6g74, those have the transmission and the engine flipped around, which is done with changes to the transmission
    Did you hit the link and check the pic i have? I do have a distributor/distributor cap... i dont have the distributorless ignition system, which i believe is the photo you posted, forgive me if im wrong... ive been very confused about this for quite some time... I changed my plugs and wires and cap and rotor, and my car is backfiring really bad... i dont know if i got my wires backwards, or what. Maybe ythey are touching causing cross spark? im unsure what the deal is..

On all 6g7's, when facing the engine at the crank pulley end numbering is 1 2 3 4 5 6 left to right moving towards the flywheel end. Since the engines were switched for our USDM bays the numbers seem backwards with the rear bank being 1 3 5 when facing from the front of the car.