The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2004 GTS infinity stereo help

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

2004 GTS infinity stereo help

Hi all,
    I am a total noob when it comes to car stereos and I got a few questions. I got a 2004 Galant GTS with the infinity stereo system. I think that my left front speaker broke and I want to replace it.

Can anyone recommend an online vendor that sells only one speaker?

If not, what size speakers do I buy are they 6.5 or 6.75? Also I heard that the stock system is 2ohms and my speakers should be 2 ohms as well, is this correct?

How hard would it be to install the front speakers, is it a simple unscrew and plug the wires in or is there some wire splicing involved?

While I am at it, I wanted to fix my door panels since they are falling off. I think it is due to the clips that broke. What size are the clips and where can I buy them?

Also I was thinking to install the iSimple IS31 so I can plug in my iPhone. Anybody have any experience wit it?

Thanks in advance. And product recommendations are welcome.

Did a little reading on the board. I think someone confirmed that the 2004 infinity speakers are 2 ohms. Another poster said to get the door panel clips from the dealer. The speakers are 6.75 and most 6.5 fit as well with a plastic piece. Someone posted that an internal FM modulator isn't that good.

Now I am thinking whether I should change the head unit to pioneer and just change the front two speakers while keeping the rear and tweeters. I would keep the amp that is already in the car. How would the sound be? How hard is it to do the wiring with a new HeadUnit while keeping the factory amp.

Is there a harness that would not require any splicing ?

Would the following harness' be good ? C2R-MIT or Metra 70-7003 ?

Somebody gotta be out there.....

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Ok, here is what you do. Save yourself some money and forget the ISimple. Buy a new deck with a USB so you can just plug the IPod/IPhone in. Secondly, get the Metra harness. For the speakers, yes that is fine if you slowly want to piece everything together slowly. If you get normal 6.5" speakers, you will need to not use the amp for those speakers and wire them directly to the HU because most speakers are 4 Ohm. Infinity does make a 3 Ohm speaker that I have seen sold at Best Buy. With this one you could try to connect it to the factory amp, but I would probably still just wire it to the HU directly.

Anything else you need, let me know.

fliegendaffe , thanks for the reply.

It just seem complicated to me to wire the front speakers bypassing the amp but keep the rear with the amp. I seen 2 ohm speakers. So I'm thinking either going with the amp or bypassing it for all the speakers.

Anyone here kept the amp with a after market head unit? How is the sound?

Any instructions on there how to use the metra harness and bypass the amp but keep all wiring so I wouldnt have to re-wire the whole car again?

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers11 View Post
    fliegendaffe , thanks for the reply.

It just seem complicated to me to wire the front speakers bypassing the amp but keep the rear with the amp. I seen 2 ohm speakers. So I'm thinking either going with the amp or bypassing it for all the speakers.

Anyone here kept the amp with a after market head unit? How is the sound?

Any instructions on there how to use the metra harness and bypass the amp but keep all wiring so I wouldnt have to re-wire the whole car again?
    I have installed many aftermarket HUs into cars with the infinity sound systems. It does sound different in a good way but not like it would be with using an aftermarket amp or using aftermarket speakers with a aftermarket HU.

For the wiring, you will have to do a little rewiring but not a lot. What you will do is run new speaker wire from the HU down to the factory amp, disconnect the plug on the output side, and splice into speaker wires (do not cut off the plug).