The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HJ Aussie Galant (E54A) 6A12 to VR4 6A12TT (E84A)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

HJ Aussie Galant (E54A) 6A12 to VR4 6A12TT (E84A)

Doing a conversion with a halfcut, figured I would share as much info as I can due the rarity of these cars/conversions.

Pics tell the story.

Very nice good luck with it

Good luck. With the build. Should be fun to watch.

Turbo engine has had front engine seals replaced as well as timing belt and pulleys.
    Original engine has been pulled out.
    You will see the difference between VR4 shafts and non tubo shafts, the non turbo has non equal lengths, but the VR4 has a cv the bolts to engine si lengths from cv to cv are equal...both interchange so I will use the turbo shafts in the non turbo box.
    Brakes are a biot bigger and same as evo 3 so I can get quality pads cheap now! Will get some QFM pads once its all sorted.

If anyone has a wiring diagram for a E84a 6a12tt would be appreciated.

TGC Regular
    I did.... but I'll have to see if I can still find it lol

Also, I have a full set of E84A Brakes (Calipers) sitting around gathering dust, if you need anything off them, and a 6A12TT block, heads, cams etc

Yep, so this is done. Put a boost guage and found it was ruinning 7psi... after I changed the plugs and leads I put a bleed valve on and its running 10psi now and it getting along rather nicely!
    Next mod will be sorting out a vent in the bonnet for the rear turbo which gets proper hot especially once its shut down and parked. Surround seem ok if you drive around then pop the hood, but park it then pop the hood after 20 minutes and the entire area get very hot!

My twin turbo garage :)

Are jap 90s cars not the best... I think the Aristo/Lexus is still quicker with its 2jzgte, front mount, exhaust, SAFC and avcr boost controller though.

For anyone interested:
    Engine : 6A12TT
    Gearbox: Std N/A 5spd
    Flywheel: Std N/A 5spd
    Driveshafts: Vr4 tt ones go straight in...longer shaft has separate bearing bolted to block with std n/a shafts do not
    Engine Loom: VR4 turbo loom with cruise control loom/computer added
    Brakes: VR4 twin piston bolt straight in (I swapped the entire hub)
    Exhaust: N/A and TT engine pipes are the same, I'm using N/A exhaust and full standard system, difference in VR4 is engine pipe slightly longer and directed away from middle of car (no driveshaft on FF)

Its pretty much a bolt in swap if you already have the n/a 6a12.

Quote Originally Posted by karl_2ltgc View Post
    For anyone interested:
    Engine : 6A12TT
    Gearbox: Std N/A 5spd
    Flywheel: Std N/A 5spd
    Driveshafts: Vr4 tt ones go straight in...longer shaft has separate bearing bolted to block with std n/a shafts do not
    Engine Loom: VR4 turbo loom with cruise control loom/computer added
    Brakes: VR4 twin piston bolt straight in (I swapped the entire hub)
    Exhaust: N/A and TT engine pipes are the same, I'm using N/A exhaust and full standard system, difference in VR4 is engine pipe slightly longer and directed away from middle of car (no driveshaft on FF)

Its pretty much a bolt in swap if you already have the n/a 6a12.
    How long is that intermediate shaft? Do you have a part number for it?
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by mysticj View Post
    How long is that intermediate shaft? Do you have a part number for it?
    I dont have a part number. The turbo and non turbo shaft were same length.

New 3" exhaust I built with 18" resonator and straight through muffler (slight offset). Its a bit loud but I will give it some time and maybe put a little restrictor in the tail pipe to (down to 2 1/4 inch)... still deciding.
    Installed a blitz sbc 'spec s' boost controller I ordered from RHDJapan as well and is running 9-10psi and getting along alot better than stock.

TGC Regular
    Hmmmmm..... I need to steal your speedo.... Mine is still only the 180kph one and it's no good to me :P

All the aussie cars have 240k speedos...
    Do these things have a speed limiter in them? Until I did the exhaust I didnt feel the car was fast enough to warrant any high speed runs (compared to my R1 and aristo this is still slow haha)

TGC Regular
    Yep, they have factory speed and fuel cut on them...

All the NZ new ones have 240k speedos, but I haven't seen any V6 ones here...

Well this car has pissed me off already. New exhaust on 9.5 psi and in second gear it either spins tyres or clutch slips very lightly. So i have turned the boost down to 8psi and will just drive it around for a while. Needs tappets done as its silly loud (probably 3-4 noisey tappets) when cold, once up to temp its not too bad.
    I will pull tappets from my old na engine sit them in diesel for a while, blow them out with compressed air and bang them in the TT motor with some new gaskets.

Are 6A13 rocker gaskets same as 6A12? I found some on ebay and I'm guessing they are the same.

TGC Regular
    Yea they are the same

As for the lifter noise, they all do that... Either run Amsoil 0w30 in it or get the 3mm lifters. The stock ones only have 1mm lubricating holes.

Soon as I put the exhaust on and gave it 10 psi the stock clutch started slipping. Any recommendations for a heavy duty street clutch? Are the clutches for these the same as evo 1-3's?

TGC Regular
    Yep, Just use and Exedy one from an Evo 3 and you'll be sweet.

Little update, new clutch and prothane engine mounts. Also have a AEM wideband to go on and a FPR and Walbro/surge tank awaiting delivery with all AN fittings to go with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast