The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: LSx swap?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 39

LSx swap?

Since I'm moving to Florida from Jersey and there will be an autocross thing happening one town over I'm going to make my G a little more aggressive. I had planned on doing an engine swap for a 74 or 75, but I've been thinking a bit to much lately. Am I the only one that thinks an LS2/3 swap would be epic?

I understand that there would be a shit ton of work and fabrication involved, as well as money. It would be a timely job, and one that I would have to find a good shop to work with. I've been around Vettes forever and would love to instill that love into the G.

If all else fails, a 6g75 swap is inevitable. Just looking for anyone else's thoughts, opinions, or ideas. Before it comes up, I'm fine putting a lot of money into this, no I don't want to just buy a car with an LS already in it. There is a sentimental value as this is the first car I've ever owned and plan on keeping it until it falls apart, and no matter what other cars I own.
    Last edited by NCamiolo; 02-08-2013 at 09:41 PM

LOL no. Go buy yourself a Miata and swap an LSx into it. Its been done, and its much cheaper than putting an LSx into a heavy pig of an 8G.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Tube chassis front end, retunneled, tubbed rear end and you might make it fit

I see what you're saying polish, but the reason I won't do what you you're saying is because its been done. I would never start buying the stuff either until a fabricator tells me they can definitely make it fit. Everyone could say no and the project will stop there.

As far as weight goes a lot of the car would get stripped down. My other car is a 5900 lb sedan, that's a pig even with a 6.0 V12.

I want to do something different, even if extreme. Like I said, if all else fails I'll go with a bigger 6g. There is also a fwd LS that could be fun...

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    How do you plan to compensate for the Galant being too front heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

it'll fit just fine, you'll have to mod the tunnel of course, but the bay has plenty of space, probably gonna need a custom or heavily modified front subrame, build tranny mounts, use the rear subframe out of an AWD eclipse and find a diff that'll hold up to the power of the lsx motor, you can do it, just gonna be costly with lots of little custom stuff that'll add up.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    by placing fat chicks in the backseats though it will scrape

Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    That's the one part that's been on my mind a lot. Any ideas, other than far chicks lol, are appreciated.

Well as I do more and more reading online, I get more depressed bout the problems with such a project. I need to hope that I make great money after I move and find an equally crazy (yet skilled) fabricator. Worst case scenario, turbo 6g75?!

Quote Originally Posted by NCamiolo View Post
    Well as I do more and more reading online, I get more depressed bout the problems with such a project. I need to hope that I make great money after I move and find an equally crazy (yet skilled) fabricator. Worst case scenario, turbo 6g75?!
    turbo 6g75 sounds more plausible than any kind of v8 (transverse or not) in the G. figuring out a way the subframe would work and making a bigger tunnel to make room for the trans would probably be the toughest part. that and the fact it would be a few hundred pounds too heavy up front. although i have been racing circle track modifieds for a few years now, the way we get the weight where we want it is to bolt lead blocks along the frame to get the correct percentages of wedge and front/rear bias. granted the modified engines are just shy of 600hp and a tad over 3500 lbs, thats with a cast iron block too. im sure you can push an LSX over 600 and its even better since its aluminum. would be nice if you can find someone where youre moving because i would love to see a swap like that.

I wouldn't even care to make that much power. I was considering a junkyard LS build, start with an iron block LQ4 or something similar. I could potentially still use an LS for fwd. There is already a fwd LS out there, the LS4, but I'm sure there would still be a space issue.

I'll probably end up building a reliable, street-able 6g75 and put a lot into the suspension and brakes. Still plan on doing some footwork and talking to some shops. No matter what anyone says, a 4-500hp LSx Galant would be epic!

go for it i say.. this game is all about being unique. but since u guys say the g is too front heavy i think if he cleans out the engen bay and puts every thing in the trunk and makes it rwd or 4wd it could work
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec

I've put some thought into a RWD conversion to a DSM/Galant and if I were to do it I'd probably go with a Corvette transmission in the rear of the car. It would probably not take much more fabrication than putting the tranny up front and the weight distribution would be far superior. Plus it would save the hassle of finding a strong rear end for the DSM.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/14/d...assis-display/

http://www.corvette.zorly.com/2008/0...new-model.html

It came in the C5 and C6 Vettes and one fast search found a C5 unit for a little over a grand.

I don't know how well the gear ratios would work out but you could probably do something like that with a turbo 6G75/

EDIT: Just checked and both the 4G6x and LSx rotate clockwise if viewed from the front. Not sure about the 6G75. Also, the tranny and rear differential were going for around 1k. An A/T tranny from a C5 was listed on eBay for $600 or so.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 02-09-2013 at 04:32 PM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

That is some interesting info there. I know with money anything can be done. My biggest concern is whether it can be done safely, and without destroying the stability of the car itself. If I could do a transaxle with a 6speed that seems to be the best route with a front heavy car. Its the amount of chopping that has to be done under the car for the trans, drive shaft, and exhaust that worry me.

That is just it. With the C5-6 tranny the chopping is minimized. If the pictures are any indication you shouldn't have to hack the tunnel at all. You might need a tubular rear subframe or a way to install the whole rear subframe from a 'vette but there is a lot of room in the rear of our cars if you use a fuel cell. Plus the drive shaft for the tranny is inside a housing so you can get the exhaust right up next to it with no fear of rubbing causing damage. The front subframe would have to be redone as well but that will have to happen no matter what.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

I have to say, you are making me feel a lot better about this. At this point I'm thinking the majority of the costs would be in parts instead of labor. Once I get to Florida and the business I'm moving there for is rolling I'm going to have to really start pricing things out and finding a close-ish shop to work with.

Oh no, don't kid yourself. Having a shop custom make a front and rear subframe and getting all this in will cost way more than the transmission and other parts. I could easily see you spending $5k or more on this if you pay someone else to do it all. Still, making the subframes will likely be cheaper and better overall than having the unibody altered. Plus if you get in a wreck you can swap the subframes to a new unibody.

Of course, the best way is to learn how to do as much of it yourself as you can, preferably with the help of some buddies who know what they're doing.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 02-09-2013 at 10:07 PM

I would definitely be paying someone else to instal the parts, I would source them, and do the engine work myself. I do know a friend very close to where I'm moving that is a handy guy, but I'm not sure of his welding abilities. I imagine he can since he did a lot of mechanical work for the military while in the service. I have actually sent an email to a Tampa based shop that specializes in swap, turbo builds, and custom work to see if they think they could handle some of the fabrication.

I definitely understand the costs, as I already planned to pay $5k or so for a good engine as it is. I figure I'll spend $7-8k just in the engine, trans, and driveshaft.

Thanks for more input though! I really enjoy getting as much knowledge as I can in the process of figuring out what I will end up actually doing.

is this hypothetically an east west ls swap or north south?

Quote Originally Posted by unclepaulie View Post
    is this hypothetically an east west ls swap or north south?
    If you mean engine orientation, then I was planning north south. If only there was a clear way to make it an AWD 6 speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast