The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New battery, No Crank, No Turnover, No Start.

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

New battery, No Crank, No Turnover, No Start.

So my car has been sitting for a few weeks, yanked the battery after it wouldn't start. Today I picked up a new battery, Napa replaced for free since a cell went bad in less than a year.

When this all started going bad I was moving the car before a trip to Florida. When I started it there was a misfire and a CEL suddenly after a bad rain storm. I started it again a couple hours later to move it back into driveway and the misfire seemed to disappear and it drove fine. It then sat for a couple weeks in December, and wouldn't start when I got back. Tried to jump, no luck, all lights came on and radio, but no crank. Pulled battery after this, and finely got it tested today. I put the new battery in tonight, and try to start...no luck! All the lights came on, no CEL, radio turned on, locks all worked, but not crank. I could hear a very faint electrical humming sound, very quiet and hard to hear with the sound of traffic outside of my neighborhood.

Any ideas? Probably looking to take this car to Florida soon for the move!

-Nick

Could be an ignition switch. Try jumping the starter.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    do a headlight test. you say all the lights work so turn the lights on and crank the car, if they dim there is a power draw to the starter but if they do not dim the power is not being used to inspect the starter and starter circuit. i would definitely print out a diagram of the circuit as well to aid in your diagnosis.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

try tapping the starter with a prybar first, if it cranks then youll need a starter. if that doesnt work try jumping the big terminals on the starter solenoid. if it then cranks then youll need an ignition switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    Could be an ignition switch. Try jumping the starter.
    Where is the starter on the V6? Never had to mess with the starter on this car before.

I'll also try the headlight test later.

Its on the front bank under the exhaust manifold. one bolt comes from each side of the bell housing.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

I tried the headlight test, no dimming, but I don't know if it makes a difference that I have HIDs. I then tried to jump the starter, and there is definitely power to it, plenty of sparks when I got the screwdriver into there. Nothing happen other than that.

I guess my next step will be to take the starter and have it tested. Any other ideas? I can't wait to be moved to FL, settled in, and just yank the damn engine and begin planning for the new one. The previous owner wasn't very kind with this car, and I got it after it was repo'ed, but it's been solid up until now. I'm starting to see leaks and a bunch of little issues suddenly as I dig more.

I am having this same problem with my 2003 Galant 4 cyl. Did you ever figure out if the ignition switch was the issue?

The ground that goes to the body from the battery likes to corrode an starts to fray at the bolt. I would check that. I had this issue right before I took the car apart.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

After Having the same symtoms as you, I pulled battery and starter off and had them tested. Battery and Starter passed, However the Power Terminal off the starters solinoid was very loose. I bought a new starter and now the galant starts better then ever before. So I recomend you take your starter off (Its not too hard) and take it to Autozone to have it tested. Good Luck.

i had this issue/story too back in january.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine is doing this right now... I got power to all connections, battery ground is solid. New starter, ignition switch and battery!!!!
    T.I. 04 BUILD YOUR OWN