The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Another rear shock instal question?

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Another rear shock instal question?

I got the shock and spring in and bolted at the top but the bottom of the shock is about 2 inches lower than the stud (even when I pushed down on the hub) so I needed to compress the shock to get it on. From everything that I was able to find the shock SHOULD have ligned up. I am wondering if this may indicate the the bushings are dried and stiff, anyone else have experience installing rear shocks on a 2002?
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

OK, I got it!! When I bought the Galant it was used and the previous owner had it lifted for big wheels. There was a crude lift on the front where he welded 2" pieces 1/4 inch plate steel to the lower part of the struts and there were spacers on the rear wheels under the rims and I removed them. Seems that it was either a kit or he made the rear lift. A 2" high piece of steel tubing was added to the upped shock mounting flange along with a 1/4" steel donut on top of that to make the rear wheels sit higher, that is why I could not get the shock assy on without compressing it. I have ordered stock upper shock mounts and will drop it down. I know my Galant should have been able to handle better than it did, the geometry was AFU.
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

Interested in knowing if rear shock has to be removed from vehicle to install upper rear shock mount bushings (02 Galant ES-V6). Want to replace OEM bushings with Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings (#5.8104G).
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GSpeed View Post
    Interested in knowing if rear shock has to be removed from vehicle to install upper rear shock mount bushings (02 Galant ES-V6). Want to replace OEM bushings with Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings (#5.8104G).
    Thanks.
    Yes. The shock is a coil over assy and must be removed. The only problem I had was the lower shock mount bolts were frozen. I had to use heat and an impact wrench which ruined the shock bushing. BOTH sides were frozen.
    2002 ES, V6, 140K