The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Air Conditioning idle problem

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Air Conditioning idle doubt

Hi there to everyone.

I just reinstalled my air conditioning compressor after almost a year, everything seems to be working perfectly. but I'm having a doubt. when the engine is idling and I turn on the air conditioning, the engine goes almost to 100rpm. if I remember correctly, there is an automatic system that regulates the engine rmp when the air conditioner is on. this to prevent the engine rpm from falling to near zero.
    well there is my doubt, I do not remember where this system is located or which is the system that controls this. if someone can help me with this pls?

so.... no1 knwos about a/c here? :s

I'm no expert, but the Idle Air Control is supposed to adjust your idle to compensate for the load from the A/C.

Did you reconnect everything when you put the compressor back in? There should be a switch/sensor I would imagine letting the computer know the a/c is on and to adjust the idle accordingly. If it's been disconnected for a long time your computer might need to relearn the idle.

Try disconnecting the battery for like 15 minutes to reset the computer, then reconnect it and drive it around the neighborhood. Turn the a/c on and off a few times. Worth a shot and best of all.. it's free to try!

Bringing back an old thread.

Anytime I turn my a/c on the car begins to idle low and eventually dies. I see that Gunny commented on it possibly being the IAC but I just replaced mine 2-3 months ago. This issue just started 2 days ago. I would appreciate any help with this issue.

The key to Immortality is first living a life worth remembering.

There are many components to the AC system, lots of stupid wiring. It comes down to two though. The compressor control module is located under the dash, it sits on a bracket that is screwed into the passenger side of the HVAC housing. Pull the glove box and you can get it out with a small screw driver. The control module is responsible for communicating with the ECU about when the AC gets kicked on so the ECU knows when to bump idle up. The box or the ECU itself may be the problem.

In rare cases I've seen a big vac leak or bad idle AFR's cause these issues at idle with the AC. Such instances can "weaken" idle where RPM looks fine but it isn't resilient and can't handle loads from the accessories. It can also happen that when the IAC opens up the air fuel ratio goes peg lean and the engine barely runs. However either of these cases should be apparent in other driving situations. If the car runs well and makes good power then I'd suspect the compressor control module first since it's easiest/cheapest to replace.

Silvertune is correct. I seem bad idle when AC is ON due to Bad IAC. Maybe is not opening properly or is getting stuck. By any change you did not mess with you TB in any way?

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Thanks Silvertune - I will look into the compressor control module.
    And Isaurio I haven't messed with TB at all.

Ok good. Check compressor control. Them move on to iac motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Thanks for the help and sorry I kinda jacked the thread

Digging up old threads is exactly what you should do. +1.

Experienced TGC Member
    Having the same issue and after adjusting the IAC it fixed my problem but I'm also a v6 TB swap. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    Having the same issue and after adjusting the IAC it fixed my problem but I'm also a v6 TB swap. Hope this helps
    Yours is the 8g right? I get the feeling they are talking about the 7g here. Is the compressor control module in the same place for the 8g?

Experienced TGC Member
    Yes 8g sorry about that . Different set up

Actually I do have a 8g. This was the only thread I could find that had similar issues. I am going to mess with everything when I get under the hood and replace the radiator and see if I cant figure out whats wrong

Experienced TGC Member
    I meant say tps.

Definitely IACV or a Servo problem. Most common problem for mitsubishi.

There is a hack for this if you are low on cash, You can install a Toyota Idle up.