The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: vibrations after timing belt change

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

vibrations after timing belt change

i ordered all the belts pulleys and water pump from rockauto. when the mechanic removed the belt cover we noticed that the oil pump pully was off so he put it back in aligment and now i get alot vibrations at about 2500 rpm 3700 rpm 4400rpm. it also sounds like the engine is forced somehow. here is a pic of how it was when we took of the belt. everything else was ligned up fine. would the oil pump aligment make a diffrence?
    [IMG][/IMG]

The oil pump aligns with the mark every 4 full engine turns. So it might need another cycle to line up. If not the oil pump mark is there just because of the balance shafts. Your engine is vibrating because the front balance shaft is out of timing. There's a bolt behind the exhaust header that you remove and stick a screw driver in thehole. If the screw driver goes in a bit then its out of timing - you need to turn the oil pump sprocket until the screw driver goes in quite a bit (more than before) and it is still lined with the mark. When that is done you can line up the rest of the marks and put the timing belt.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

i told those dummies not to move it. they said "its just the oil pump....." thanks mko. is it safe to drive till tuesday?
    Last edited by specter6633; 03-03-2013 at 08:37 PM

Build Thread

Also once the screw driver goes in, the oil pump sprockt will only move a 1/4 turn clockwise before its stopped by the screwdriver , bring back and realign the marks and its timed correctly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldnt call it safe - i would drive it only if its very necessary.

Build Thread

its not. ill use the train :(

Dont take this as advice but one of my G's has had the oil pump off for over 2 years and over 60k miles. 2 cracked IM's until it got the outlander. No problems though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2