The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lowering Springs & Shocks

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Lowering Springs & Shocks

Ok so I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting the Megan lowering springs. I've seen them on another 9g Galant and to me the 1.5" drop on both front and back looks great and I've heard they feel great. The only thing is the more research I've been doing on springs, the more questions I have. I've read a few threads on here and other forums and my question is can I install these springs and keep my stock shocks or do I have to buy new ones? I've seen people say Eibach & Tein springs will be fine with stock shocks. If I do need new shocks no matter which brand, what are the best that work with these for a good price?

If it matters, I live in Miami and our roads don't have too many problems.

Since you're only looking at 1.5" drop, I wouldn't necessarily recommend replacing shocks right away. That being said, lowering the car will add more stress to your stock shocks and may cause them to fail early. If it were me, I'd take the question out of it and replace shocks and springs while I have everything apart.

Oh, and get an alignment after your spring install :)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCiphe View Post
    Ok so I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting the Megan lowering springs. I've seen them on another 9g Galant and to me the 1.5" drop on both front and back looks great and I've heard they feel great. The only thing is the more research I've been doing on springs, the more questions I have. I've read a few threads on here and other forums and my question is can I install these springs and keep my stock shocks or do I have to buy new ones? I've seen people say Eibach & Tein springs will be fine with stock shocks. If I do need new shocks no matter which brand, what are the best that work with these for a good price?

If it matters, I live in Miami and our roads don't have too many problems.
    I replaced my OEM springs with Megan and I never replaced the factory shocks. It's been 5 years now and I still have them on , no problems and our roads here in Vancouver are not that bad either. So, you should be good as long as it has no leaks.

Not enough drop in the front and too much drop in the rear. I had to cut the front and raise the rear with spacer.

Thanks for the info 9Ggts!

Quote Originally Posted by Gotti View Post
    Not enough drop in the front and too much drop in the rear. I had to cut the front and raise the rear with spacer.
    Dam really? It seems like that in some pics of the Galants but I've seen it drop perfect in some. I don'y know if they did the same thing you did when they noticed that.

The first place I really saw the drop was on these car with the same Megan springs

i have eibach pro kit springs sitting in my room. stupid snow storm saturn held me back from installing. heard and read more positive things about these especially if youre not planning on changing your struts

Quote Originally Posted by Gotti View Post
    Hmmmm. Mine was even all around. The springs were made in japan and was specifically for a galant .

Quote Originally Posted by 9Ggts View Post
    Hmmmm. Mine was even all around. The springs were made in japan and was specifically for a galant .
    Where did u get your springs?
    I've found them the cheapest at this link but no links I've found say made in Japan.

http://www.raceinspired.com/p-15330-...2005-2007.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCiphe View Post
    Where did u get your springs?
    I've found them the cheapest at this link but no links I've found say made in Japan.

http://www.raceinspired.com/p-15330-...2005-2007.aspx
    a tuner shop here ordered it for me. it should be for a galant and not for an eclipse as the coils will bind at the rear. I think we're heavier at the trunk end than the eclipse.

how bout for 2009 which springs would be best

i put the eibach pro kit on my 09 es. i also installed new gr2 struts all the way around. the car dropped nicely and sits even. the front wheel well is cut larger so it appears it is off. my rear wheels are slightly tucked while the front still show well gap (not much). i cant compare to used springs and how they feel with just replacing the springs, but with the new gr2s it is amazing. the difference is extremely noticeable and i have not had any problems so far.

the eibach pro kit. is this for the eclipse. can u post some pix if possible

what size rims do you have. mine are 20inch. will this kit still b fine.

So I've decided I'm getting the Megan Springs (the ones made for the Galant not Eclipse) . Seems to be the best for what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood81 View Post
    how bout for 2009 which springs would be best
    As long as it's best for a 9G then it's best for any model 2004 and up.

Hey guys, are your wheels rubbing when you upsized to 20"? I'm planning to do this too

Quote Originally Posted by antigen_dw View Post
    Hey guys, are your wheels rubbing when you upsized to 20"? I'm planning to do this too
    19 inch wheels on my 9g are not rubbing. 20" wheels may be too hard and heavy on your shocks. i think I read somewhere here in the forum they grinded a little off the Coil spring base to fit the 20's. but search if it will fit.

07Galant_GTS
    I honestly think my 19s in the back might be rubbing a bit; when I drive aggressive it's slightly noticeable hitting a corner.. Just saying from my experience haven't looked at tires yet lol

Thanks for this input! I will cross my 19 off my list. Maybe just stick with factory 18's which hopefully someone is selling! I have yet to gain access to the classified ads here on the site.