The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I have a lot of questions, and have gotten very few answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31

Icon5 I have a lot of questions, and have gotten very few answers.

I have a big list of problems i need fixed on my Galant, and these are the ones that i have even asked Mechanics and they didn't know how to answer them.

1.) Have to figure out whats wrong with my pulleys (My alternator seems to be pushed back and my belts are rubbing, i have just replaced all of the belts and i looked under my car and they're all back to crap.)
    2.) Find my oil leak (i am not sure where it is, i have no idea, any help on finding where it's at would be awesome.)
    3.) All of my dash pieces are either snapped or busted(that also includes my cover pieces by my radio and my shifter, along with my passenger side air bag looks like if i hit a bump it's going to pop. My dash also has curled up where the defroster vents are at.
    4.) For some reason, i can smell a strong aroma of gas inside of my car.
    5.) and my car sounds like it's purring when it starts up and has a tick. All of the mechanics tell me "It's just your valves" but it doesn't sound like that.
    I will take pictures of all of the things tomorrow. If anyone could help me with some of these problems i would be forever grateful.

1. Take pics
    2. Usually what leaks is : cam seal, main seal or oil pan.
    3. Best thing is to go find new pieces at the junkyard. Air bag and dash become like this for everybody, so i cant help you. I've been lucky with my airbag staying like brand new for all these years.
    4. It's either the fuel filter/fuel rail leak or fuel pump/sensor under the rear seat leak.
    5. its called a lifter tick and it very common problem. There isnt really a cure for this, at least one done easily, but I remember putting some seafoam in the oil and running it for like 30 min before doing an oil change.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Try to solve the gas issue asap! Remove back seat bottom cushion and remove the 4 screws to access top of fuel tank and you will see fuel lines there so check carefully for leaks. I have had to replace the fuel line at this location on a few galants. Look carefully at the injectors when idling may need to simply reseal them.

7g Dirt Racer- 95 Galant- 4g64,5speed swap, external coil, dohc swap, 60mm t.b., b.s., a.c., p.s. delete, battery relocate.
    7g Street- 94 Galant GS- 2.0 4g63t, awd conversion, auto swap, 98 gsx ecu, fmic, maft, bs delete.
    3g 00 eclipse gt 3.0 at

When my timing belt went out, i actually had to pull each of every single injector out, so that could actually be it, and that could be why my gas mileage dropped quite a bit..

fix the gas leak FIRST

Alrighty, Gas leak will be first!
    I don't feel like exploding driving down the road... lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    please never run seafoam either. I watched a dealer sell a cleaning using that to a family friend with a Cadillac CTS with around 30k miles on it and they spun a bearing. nothing in a can will help you, thats what i learned going through my engines classes and getting my ASE.

please take pictures of where that oil leak is and of the belts. and definitely investigate the gas smell.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Alright, so here are my findings on the gas leak. It is a injector, i popped my hood, started feeling my injectors, well, turns out just one of the O rings is bad. So i either have to reseat it, or buy a new one. I got lucky it was just an O ring and not a gas line lol.

Here is a picture of number 1 and also a picture of 3.

one the picture above, if you look the belts aren't in the grooves, every time i push them into the grooves, i start my car and they go right back to that very spot. That is what caused my belts to rub.
    and

Thank you everyone for helping me, if i didn't start asking about it i would've never known..

I'm not sure if you can tell on the first picture, but the alternator belt is stuck on the side of the top pulley, on everything else it is seated properly. However, it just doesn't want to stay there. I'm not sure how to fix that problem either.

As for the other picture i posted above, the dash is curling and my air bag literally looks like it's going to pop if i hit a bump..
    So if anyone could tell me an easy way to fix it, or do i just have to buy all new dash pieces?

I seemed to have missed something else, how do i find out what type of transmission i have in my car? I need to buy a rebuild kit but i do not know all the parts i need, and i don't know what type of tranny i have. So if anyone could tell me what all i need in a tranny rebuild kit, i would be grateful, more than likely doing it next week this is why i ask.

It looks like your outer water pump pulley, that drives the alternator, is backwards. You can see it being too close to the engine bay wall. And then the alternator belt is wearing out he power steering belt on one side.did you have the water pump or timing belt replaced recently?

Transmission parts:

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...ishiauto.shtml

Build Thread

I did have the timing belt recently replaced, did he end up putting the pulled on backwards?

That website didn't help me with all i need for a rebuild kit.
    i found this on Rock Auto.
    Master Kit: Paper & Rubber Kit, Front & Rear Seal, Ring Kit, Friction Clutches, Steel Plate
    SOHC: 4 SP FWD F4A232 Transmission
    SOHC: 4 SP FWD KM1778 Transmission

But i do not know what type of transmission i have, or if that is all i need to be honest. I'm also not looking to go full aftermarket parts on my tranny yet because money is the issue.

F4A23 is your trans and yes the outer water pump pulley is backwards.

Build Thread

Thank you!
    Now what all do i need for the rebuild?
    If i had the money i would do the 5 spd swap instantly, i love standards so much better..
    But money is an issue, so i would just like to keep the auto until i can save enough money for the 5 speed swap.

Can i still use my torque converter? or do i have to buy a completely new one? :\

if you're going through the effort to rebuild a trans it's always best to put in a new torque convertor. There's no way to tell what kind of crap has built up inside it over the years and unless you have ninja welding skills there's no way to flush it all out.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

Well would it be okay if i used it for a little bit until i was able to afford a new one?

If it were my car I wouldn't even bother starting the job until i had the money for everything. It's your car, your call.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

What are the parts to rebuild the trans totaling so far?

Build Thread

Rebuild kit $120
    Torque converter $150.

I said that I didn't know what all I needed so I'm thinking this is all I need, i can do a couple things and afford the torque converter. So i'll have everything i think i need, unless i need a shift kit and everything.

I have always been told to never use additives because they're just a temporary fix, well i'll keep temp fixing it until i get the money for a 5speed swap and just throw that in there. Sound smart? or should i go another way?
    Last edited by Texasryan; 03-09-2013 at 03:06 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast