The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: v6 cam shaft seal replacment

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

v6 cam shaft seal replacment

Well I'm half way through my timing belt change and unfortunately my camshaft seals are leaking. The rear bank is leaking pretty bad. I looked in the service manual and the camshaft pulley bolts are tightened to 65 ft/lbs and I cant break them loos. I was using a tool to hold the pulley and a breaker bar turn the bolt but I just cant put enough force on it. Any ideas? Also when it comes to removing the cam shaft seals is there anything I should watch out for? I was going to drill a small hole in the seal and install a wood screw and pull. I have pulled other seals like this and it always worked but I thought I'd ask.

Use a good strap wrench with a piece of pipe on it to hold the gear, then the big breaker bar on the cam bolt.

I always get the seals out by tapping a very thin standard screw driver inbetween the seal and the head and prying, they're usually pretty stuck. That said the woodscrew idea sounds brilliant too.

I used a pick to remove the seal. When putting in a new seal you have to go in just enough, going to far may leak.

Just saw a video on you tube of someone who made a strap wrench using the old timing belt and a large 2x4. See second half of video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roy4janypHA. The amount of force he is applying seams enormous. I think it says he estimates ~300 ft/lbs to break the bolt loos. I think this will work for me but I need a buddy to hold the 2x4. I'm a little concerned of slipping though. In the video he breaks the strap wrench the first time, then fixes it and succeed on the second attempt. I don't know how much rotation I have before I mash a valve into the piston top. Hmmm.

you can also use an adjustable spanner (this is what I used http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6613-Varia.../dp/B000F5JMEA) with the longest pegs that came with the tool, then with a pipe extension (braced against the body) I kept the spanner stationary and then I used my half inch breaker bar with pipe extension and a short socket, wasn't that difficult for my front head, the rear one required some more creativity
    Last edited by foxbrand; 03-12-2013 at 08:11 PM