The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: best rim size and tires to get?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28

best rim size and tires to get?

i'm planning on getting 18s or 19 on my g. and there was this post on some 18s rubbing :? . so, what's the best size to get for rims? and what kind of tires? the car is completely stock except for the headlamps' light bulbs but i don't think they matter at all.

escoson
    how much u wanna spend?

i spent 2600 on 20s for my truck. so no more than 3 thou. that's all i got on my credit card

I would get 17X8 if you can find them or 18x8. with the 18's you'll have to get a 245/30. I think anything like 245/40 or greater might be a little too big and might rub on the shock absorber assembly. I run 17x7.5 and 245/45 zr 17's. Khumo Ecsta. They're great.

L

If you go with 18's look for a 7.5" width. 8" width will work too as long as the offset is as close to +46mm as possible. With 18's you'll want a 225/40 tire. You don't have to worry about rubbing unless you dropped alot or have some really heavy ass subs in the trunk.

another thing u got to look like is the type of roads u drive on and the amount of money u have. not only now but in the future. 19's are more prone to damage than 18's. tire cost more for 19's than 18's generally. a 19 inch rim costs more to replace than an 18. etc etc.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

escoson
    ill give you my scenario, i live in central nj. i have 18" giovanna nagano's in hyper black. my orig tires were 225/40 but they get gashes so easily so i moved to 235/40. i got a rim & tire package for 1600$. i use the falken ziex tires. they retail between 120-140 for 225/40 through 235/40. ive replaced tires 2 times already from shit in the road. just an hour ago gooin through a drive through there was a boulder bulging out by the pickup and i scratched ther lip of one of my rims. you definatley want to keep cautios on shitty roads even if its a nice road. you never know when there mite be a pothole. ide suggest something like mine for now. im moving on to the advan super 2's in a few months 18x8. they retail around 600-650 per rim without tires but they are well worth it. you can also choose any colors for the wheels. example. black w/ anodized blue, white with anodized blue, etc... since you have 2600 to spare you mite want to go with something like 5zigen, volk, or even ralli art.(ralli art wheels are sick and are forged magnesium!) thats just some basic info i would look at when purchasing 18's. there are alot of choices out there. its all about what your likes are and what type of driving your going to be doing and your basic road conditions.

since we're in the mood, what's the offset as it relates to tires?

L

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Liszt)</div><div class='quotemain'>since we're in the mood, what's the offset as it relates to tires?

L</div>

Offset doesn't relate to tires, but rather the wheels. +46mm is the stock offset on the wheels of an 8G. The lower the number, the further the wheel will stick out and the higher the number, the more the wheel will be closer to the center of the car. So, too low of an offset and you could start rubbing on the fenders, and too high of an offset and you will start rubbing on the suspension components or even the brake calipers. On the 8G's, you have more play with lower offsets from stock rather than higher offsets.

Andoy

Weight of Wheels

When shopping for wheels everyone made a big deal about getting a lightweight rim, but I bot 17 x 7.5's at about 22 lbs. each. The stock wheel is a 15", I haven't mounted the new wheels yet. Do you guys find that the larger 17-18" wheels are affecting the car for the worse, or for the better??

Re: Weight of Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Andoy
    When shopping for wheels everyone made a big deal about getting a lightweight rim, but I bot 17 x 7.5's at about 22 lbs. each. The stock wheel is a 15", I haven't mounted the new wheels yet. Do you guys find that the larger 17-18" wheels are affecting the car for the worse, or for the better??
    I find that my car handles much better with my rim/tire set.

L

bigger rims with lower profile tire will always give you better handling on corners and such, but you are also more prone to road deffects...cracks bumps and stuff, your car will want to follow the road deffects...and you'll hear more road noise. But you will learn to deal will all that stuff.

I agree. I immediatley noticed increased road noise with my first set. Think my pirellis were quieter than my kuhmos (current).

L

ICED GTZ

19 inch wheels

hey guys, here's my scenario, i need some advice . . .

I am set on putting 19's on my 99 GTZ, actually I bought them already. Chrome 19 inch Velox Hyperions with 225/35/19 Toyo proxes.

they should be here by the end of may, so i want to get my act together so i know what to do when they are here. can someone tell me the best spring to give me a nice low drop, and occasional rubs? I know eibach pro kit drops the galant 1.2 but i dont think that will look low wnough for me. i want to really eliminate the wheel well. im sure i will get some rubs no matter what springs i get, but i rarely have people in my back seat. it's usually just me and 1 other person. i was thinking about doing 2.0 drop in the front and 1.8 in the back. im in good shape as far as money goes, so if there's something else besides the the right springs that will make the car look real low, handle better, or eliminate some of the rubbing please let me knoe. i also want to do a camber kit to protect the tires, but i dont knoa ll that much about them. any help is appreciated, you can also email me @ [email protected]

Thanks alot guys !

Tom

Re: 19 inch wheels

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ICED GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey guys, here's my scenario, i need some advice . . . Â*

I am set on putting 19's on my 99 GTZ, actually I bought them already. Chrome 19 inch Velox Hyperions with 225/35/19 Toyo proxes. Â*

they should be here by the end of may, so i want to get my act together so i know what to do when they are here. can someone tell me the best spring to give me a nice low drop, and occasional rubs? I know eibach pro kit drops the galant 1.2 but i dont think that will look low wnough for me. i want to really eliminate the wheel well. im sure i will get some rubs no matter what springs i get, but i rarely have people in my back seat. it's usually just me and 1 other person. i was thinking about doing 2.0 drop in the front and 1.8 in the back. im in good shape as far as money goes, so if there's something else besides the the right springs that will make the car look real low, handle better, or eliminate some of the rubbing please let me knoe. i also want to do a camber kit to protect the tires, but i dont knoa ll that much about them. any help is appreciated, you can also email me @ Â* Â* [email protected] Â*

Thanks alot guys ! Â*

Tom</div>

So, the width of those rims are 8.5", but what is the offset? If you drop 1.8" - 2" in the rear you won't want a camber kit or you will probably rub alot. I have 18x7.5" rims with a +42mm offset and with a camber kit I was rubbing in the rear. I took some washers away from the camber kit so my camber was off only a little bit and I don't have any more rubbing.

Your best bet is to get coilovers instead of springs, so you can adjust the height to whatever you want. If money is not an issue I would go with the JIC Magic coilovers or wait for the Tein SS Dampers to come out. If you are intent on getting springs, you can get the kind of drop you are looking for with the Progress or Intrax springs. Or you can even go with the Eibach Pro Kit or Sportlines for the 3G Eclipse. Since the Galant is a little heavier, you can expect a slightly bigger drop with the Eclipse springs. Whichever springs you go with, I highly recommend getting rid of the stock struts and shocks in favor of the KYB AGX's because the stock ones will blow out very quickly.

TWISTED II
    Quote Originally Posted by Liszt
    I agree. I immediatley noticed increased road noise with my first set. Think my pirellis were quieter than my kuhmos (current).

L
    on my first tires, there was a lot of road noise. however, my last set of tires were the Potenza So-3 Pole Positions...and there was almost no road noise, i was impressed. just something to think about if you ever need new tires.

alright ladies and gentlemen, i have a question also concerning rim sizes...would there be any problems w/having 17's in the front and 18's in the rear of an 8g? Just curious. Any input would help. thanks
    "....BIG got hit in the passenger seat, 'Pac got hit in the passenger seat, now i'm ridin' 'round in the passenger seat..." 50 Cent

anyone?
    "....BIG got hit in the passenger seat, 'Pac got hit in the passenger seat, now i'm ridin' 'round in the passenger seat..." 50 Cent

8ggalant

i see no problem with that....are u askin about fitting issues or ride quality....why whoud u do that ne way..juss asking....

fitment is my question......n e ways, thanks 8ggalant......well, the thing is to make a long story short, i got into an accident and both my passenger side rims(18") were smashed up. Now to save money i was just gonna move one of the rim to the rear passenger side and purchase a used set of rims off ebay (17") and put a pair up front. The reason for this is that i would save $100+ on buying 2 new rims where as i can just get a new set w/tires for a cheaper price. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast