The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: best rim size and tires to get?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 28 of 28
    8ggalant
    oh i see.

Experienced TGC Member
    17's will work, you'll just need to go with a larger ratio tire than what's on the 18's. You need to keep the diameter of all the wheels as close as possible. Other than that, it will work, might look a little wierd to some, but will definately work.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

thanks fellas.....last thing, the guy selling the rims w/Nanking tires.....dog i never heard of that brand. Can i get some feedback on these tires......who is it made by, hopefully not Walmart......ride quality...etc. Thanks again
    "....BIG got hit in the passenger seat, 'Pac got hit in the passenger seat, now i'm ridin' 'round in the passenger seat..." 50 Cent

8ggalant
    hahahahhahahaha
    i got these on my rims..when i got em it was a hook up and i didtn specify what tyres i wanted....tread design is nuthin special....only had em for a month but no unusual wear and not alotta rd noise...hope this helps

irishpunk
    K, here's the deal as far as I've found out. 17's are as big as you need to go if you are looking for performance. Road & Track, Motortrend, or one of those magazines did a test and found that 17in rims were the best size rim to have. Anything after that doesn't increase performance, and is becoming heavier and priceier. The stock tire size is a 195/60 15. 17's would need around 235/45 17. That would leave you a decent sidewall and if you keep your tires at the right pressure and just watch where you are driving then you shouldn't encounter any problems. Also pay attention the the width of the rim. The wider the rim, the wider the tire you should get to fit better without having the rim actually mounting past flush with the tire. I have 16x7 on my car with 225/50 16. This is the best size for me because the edge of the rim is actually recessed back from the edge of the tire. This allows the tire to act as a shield to stupid shit scrapping the rim. I'd say if you are going with a 7.5 in rim the 225 is as small as you want to go and I don't know if we can fit anything bigger than a 235 on there. Haven't really done research on that.

Kermit

irishpunk
    Do you know the offset on those? Our cars can use between a 40mm and 46mm offset. I would suggest with a wider rim not to use as much as an offset. (by as much i mean, the smaller the number, the more the rim will stick out from the axle). Too wide of a rim with too much offset could possibly cause the rim to rub. Also if you have the car lowered then you would want the wheel tucked slightly. I would assume those would fit fine. What's the bolt pattern on those?

What year Galant do you have?

I have 18x7.5" rims with a +42mm offset on an 8G Galant. I had very slight rubbing in the rear after a 1.8" drop in the rear and installing a camber kit, but when I took some of the washers off of the camber kit I had no rubbing. Therefore, if the offset of those rims are within the range that irishpunk mentioned, you will be fine, especially if you don't use a camber kit after lowering your car (if you do).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12