The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lower Air Box Removal Guide

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Icon4 Lower Air Box Removal Guide

Ok so it seems like alot of people want to do this but nobody is really letting us know how. I finished this morning getting this thing out.
    Thanks to many different forums I've been successful but it shouldn't be this difficult to know how to do it even if its your very first mod. This is a very safe mod that in no way can hurt your engine but only help.

You'll need a philips screw driver and a 10mm wrench.
    Now there's 2 ways of going about this that I know of. The regular way or my way haha. I'll explain both.

1. Open the hood
    2. Locate your air box. It will look like the image below.

3. Remove the snorkel. This will help you get to the bolt a lot easier. It will look the same as the image below.

4. There are only 2 screws holding it in. Use a philips screw driver to losen the 2 screws. You will be able to unscrew these very easily but dont yank to hard. Images of these are below.

5. After you take the snorkel out, you will easily be able to see the lower air box. You will only see a portion of it but the enitre thing looks like this.

* 6. Now this is the tricky part. The screw will be hard to get to. 2 main reasons for this is the coolant is somewhat in the way and the air box can't be easily taken out without removing other parts. This I can't help you on. I was unable to unscrew the air box so I took an alternative route.

* 7. I used a simple long flat head screw driver and a hammer to chisel away at the screw holding onto the lower air box. For this way (my way) you will need to go under the car. Use the jack to jack the car up. Go under, and smack away at it until it finally break off! Be careful not to hit to many other parts in the engine.

8. After you've got the screws disconnected, you still have to take the lower air box out of the engine bay. The only way of doing this I've found is to remove the front wheel well linings on the left side of the car. You'll need to remove a few screw to do this. Take the lower air box out.

9. Put the linings back on and your done!

Now personally this was such a pain that I have left the lower air box still in the car. I was able to put the air box between the coolant and the air box hole so it is still sucking in air from the bottom smoothly. This South Florida sun just was too much for me to do all that removing although it will come out soon. If anybody else has any other ways of taking this part out of their car, feel free to share. I hope this helps if you're somebody looking to do this same mod.
    Last edited by JohnnyCiphe; 03-24-2013 at 12:57 AM

Nice writeup bud...just went through this not long ago. I only got the lower air box off by removing the inner fender guard and feeling around blindly in front of the coolant reservoir. Once I found the screw I was able to get it out with a socket wrench. Also, did you do this project just to remove the lower air box or were you installing an intake?

Thanks! & for now just to remove the lower air box. Most of my money right now is going into finishing up building my studio so I put my car on hold for a little.

What I did was follow RPW's tip and cut an opening on the front of the snorkel and replaced the air filter with K & N . It now gets cold air in and is much better than the INJEN SRI that I installed. SRI is taking in too much hot air from the engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Ggts View Post
    What I did was follow RPW's tip and cut an opening on the front of the snorkel and replaced the air filter with K & N . It now gets cold air in and is much better than the INJEN SRI that I installed. SRI is taking in too much hot air from the engine bay.
    Any pics? What kind of cut did you make?

Ok I just did this on mine too, I cut out the entire bottom section of the lower air box, all I had to remove was the front driver splash guard and the upper air box.
    (The easiest way I did this was I removed the entire upper air box assembly then I went under the car and took out the lower. I did not have to remove anything else except 1 splash guard)
    It was rather easy, the bolts were a pain in the ass to get to but it was one of the easiest mods I have done.

I made a few pilot holes with a drill and the rest cut out very easily with a razor blade.

I switched back to my modded factory air box and away from my short ram intake I had.
    The shops around here refuse to pass me if the car is "obviously" modified.
    Last edited by 12GaugeMule; 05-11-2015 at 02:03 PM