The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6G74+5spd

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

6G74+5spd

Alright, obvious.
    Want to swap a 3.5L and a 5spd into my car (3.0L V6 auto 2001)
    Questions:

Engine:
    Diamante 3.5L... what year does it have to be, or does it matter? I plan on rebuilding, but I need to know if there's a specific year I should look for.
    Other than the engine, what else will I need? I'm assuming everything belt-driven.
    Do stock mounts work for the 3.5? Or am I going to need custom mounts?
    Am I going to need the ECU out of the Diamante? Or can I use my stock ECU? I believe 2001s are flashable, but will I have to get it flashed?
    Also, what about wiring harnesses? Will I need to take the engine bay harness out of the Diamante and modify it to splice in to the stock harness?

Transmission:
    I know there's a build thread here, and directions, but that's for the standard 72. Will everything work the same way for the 6G74? I just need to know if there's anything I need to do.

Thank you in advance everybody!

you need to search. search some more. cross reference. search a lil more then fill in the blanks . then ask ?s yu require a awfully large spoon this site is like any old library. lots of content amongst many indexes what you seek diligently yu will find.

also

if you need this much help you may want to start small
    download the fsm and mod tastefully then as your knowledge expands so will your understanding of what you need to do

a late welcome and good luck
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

if you have a 3000gt i doubt its going to happen.
    If you have a galant itll be relatively easy.
    I think you can use stock ecu and wiring. dont quote me on that though, there are a lot of thread about doing the swap, search for them im sure you will find the answers to your questions.
    i know club3g has at least 2 threads on it.

Experienced TGC Member 99galantES's Avatar
    If I'm not mistaken its for a galant seeing as if he had a 3k he'd be asking in the wrong forum lol but you might want to contact a member called deeznutz he might have more info on that. I think everything bolts right up seeing as its the same motor all it changes is internals correct me if I'm wrong and you need the eclipse MT tans mount

«Carlos»

From somebody who has successful experience under their belt, the engine can be from years 1997-2004. If you don't plan on getting headers, get an older, Fed-spec engine since those stock manifolds will be better than the cali spec.

All engine mounts will fit the same. The only different mount you will need is that on the far left side for the manual trans instead of the auto.

Your wiring harness already in your car will be fine. The only modifying will need to be for the iac pigtail in order to use the diamante throttle body.

For the manual swap, it is exactly the same as the 3.0, except you will need to grind down part of the block where the bracket for the intermediate shaft mounts. you will see what I'm talking about when you get there.

Also, keep your ecu. It is flashable and you will want a tactrix cable and ecuflash to do so.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    From somebody who has successful experience under their belt, the engine can be from years 1997-2004. If you don't plan on getting headers, get an older, Fed-spec engine since those stock manifolds will be better than the cali spec.

All engine mounts will fit the same. The only different mount you will need is that on the far left side for the manual trans instead of the auto.

Your wiring harness already in your car will be fine. The only modifying will need to be for the iac pigtail in order to use the diamante throttle body.

For the manual swap, it is exactly the same as the 3.0, except you will need to grind down part of the block where the bracket for the intermediate shaft mounts. you will see what I'm talking about when you get there.

Also, keep your ecu. It is flashable and you will want a tactrix cable and ecuflash to do so.

This.
    Exactly what I wanted. Someone who has done it to pop in and give me their personal experience with it. Thank you.
    Is there a particular set of headers you suggest I purchase? I wouldn't mind going aftermarket. I've also considered mounting a small single turbo (HX35 maybe) so I'd need custom headers, but if you've got a suggestion I should take while I'm still N/A, I'll listen.
    And as for the ECU.... will it have to be modified at all for the 74? If yes, that's fine, I just need to know so I can go ahead and get a tactrix cable. I think someone said to get the 2.0?

RPW headers are the best by far. The only issue with them is they aren't exactly easy to find here in the states, and when they do come up for sale, sellers want top dollar for them. If you ever do plan on turbo, don't worry about headers. Fed spec manifolds are most likely what you will want to build your y-pipe for. the ecu doesn't need any external modification. the only modifying it will need is the data from reading your ROM file, making the proper adjustments, then writing the new file back onto your ecu.

There are two sets of RPW's up for sale on Club3g. They're pricy relative to eBay crap but very worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    RPW headers are the best by far. The only issue with them is they aren't exactly easy to find here in the states, and when they do come up for sale, sellers want top dollar for them. If you ever do plan on turbo, don't worry about headers. Fed spec manifolds are most likely what you will want to build your y-pipe for. the ecu doesn't need any external modification. the only modifying it will need is the data from reading your ROM file, making the proper adjustments, then writing the new file back onto your ecu.
    A few more questions...
    Do they make solid mounts that work on our cars? If so, I'm assuming they'll have to be from an Eclipse? If I'm going to have everything pulled, I might as well put different mounts in.
    Also, assuming I have the tactrix 2.0 cable, and ECUflash, all I would need is a rom for the 3.5? I know this has been done before, so is there anyone who might have a rom I could use? Tuning is something I haven't started messing with, but I know people if I need to do it myself.

Yes Prothane makes a set of poly mounts for our cars. Just make sure to get the set for a 2000-2005 Eclipse V6.

The ROM will take a little more explaining than I can really do with my phone right now.

clebrowns88
    What about the A/c? i got the 6g74 plus 5spd(bought it with ac lines removed) and i want ac cuz its getting hot outside. i have a 97 6g74 in my 99 galant. what do i need to get ac running? cuz the galant and diamante have diff ac compressors, diff routing on the lines, and it looked like it came out of the firewall in a different spot too. so do i need the diamantes ac lines or do i use a galant v6 ac compressor on the 6g74? thank you thank you for any info u can give. thanks

Don't quote me on this, but I think you use the 6G72 compressor and lines on the 74. Check beam513's build thread, I think he has A/C on his 74.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by clebrowns88 View Post
    What about the A/c? i got the 6g74 plus 5spd(bought it with ac lines removed) and i want ac cuz its getting hot outside. i have a 97 6g74 in my 99 galant. what do i need to get ac running? cuz the galant and diamante have diff ac compressors, diff routing on the lines, and it looked like it came out of the firewall in a different spot too. so do i need the diamantes ac lines or do i use a galant v6 ac compressor on the 6g74? thank you thank you for any info u can give. thanks
    On my swap (01 galant, 99 6g74) I used 6g72 compressor, bracket, and lines.