The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g V6 Valve cover oil leaks

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

8g V6 Valve cover oil leaks

So I found out i had a pretty bad leak on my rear valve cover it leaks oil that drips down to the rear header and makes a burnt oil smell its very pungant I was wondering if any v6 guys know if this will fit onto the 3.0l 6g72
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-VS502...160acd&vxp=mtr
    also i will need to replace the intake manifold gasket as well once i take it off would this work?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-2000-In...446584&vxp=mtr

Go to rockauto.com you'll get the right part and good quality. While you have the intake manifold off why not upgrade, get the diamante intake manifold.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

thanks ! the diamante is direct swap in right? wont i have to switch to the diamante throttle body as well?

felpro part number vs50461r......its on rockauto for $27.89
    intake mani set is felpro part number ms95709 for $10.10

Why don't you just pick them up at your local parts store? We aren't talking about an intake or HID's that are best priced online.

It's only replacement gaskets and most likely your local store will have them in stock, which means you won't have to wait, and they can be exchanged (hassle free) for new ones should they leak.

The intake manifold is pretty much a direct swap, need to get longer vacuum lines that are dirt cheap at any auto part store. You don't have to use the 6g74 throttle body but it is also a nice upgrade, it's 3mm bigger than your stock V6 one. The only problem with using the 6g74 intake manifold with the 6g72 throttle body is that you might have a vacuum leak. I say "might" because if you look at the picture, the 6g72 has holes that are covered by the 6g72 IM but on the 6g74 IM those holes cause a vacuum leak unless you can block them off, i think with the 6g72 TB gasket. Also if you upgrade to the 6g74 TB you will need the 6g74 IAC and IAC pigtail, the pins match up so just do 1 wire at a time.

00 Eclipse RS MT

If you use the 6g72 tb with the diamante plenum your car will run like crap in the lower RPM's. reason being, due to the improper sealing of vacuum passages, the egr will stay open and recirculate exhaust gas 100%of the time.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Also if your swapping manafolds you will need the egr recirc tube as the 74 is in a offset location from the 72s

thanks guys for the help. I think i might just stay stock intake manifold Im having pretty bad fuel efficiency as it is,Im just trying to get it back to the point where my whole cabin smells like burned oil. Is there a guide on intake manifold removal? I've searched and the only link for the guide seems to be dead http://home.pacbell.net/fong8/gstuff/tjc_plenum.htm.
    Also Black8g v6 I saw the write up you did for intake manifold upgrade options it was well written.
    On another note Im going to change my rear spark plugs as well and i was stuck between getting platinums or iridiums. I know that the only difference is that iridiums last longer but I wasn't sure if they would cause the car to throw codes .

Thanks, i'm still learning too, also if/when you upgrade the 6g74 TB needs to be without traction control.

I would go with platinum plugs since that is what the V6 came factory with

EDIT: to take off the manifold, just loosen the bolts you see around the manifold, I would put a new gasket in but some people reuse the old manifold gasket. Just use the tearstone FSM for the torque specs, while you're in there get some new spark plug wires and tube seals if you haven't already thought of it
    Last edited by Black8GV6; 04-03-2013 at 10:36 PM
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Thanks black8g my gaskets should be coming in pretty soon. Do you recommend anything that will make the job easier?