The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help choosing a performance clutch kit

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Help choosing a performance clutch kit

I am in need of a clutch kit that can handle around 350hp/tq to be safe for my DD and can't decide on which one to get. I've been reading on dsmtuners and other sites and I know ACT is one of the favorites, but reading on tuners about the springs getting loose and things like that steers me away from them. I was looking at the Exedy stage 1 organic and have heard good thing but the specs don't look like they can take the power. Competition has the stage 2 and 3 but they are available with a 2300 PP and kevlar disc or a 2600 PP and segmented ceramic discs. Also this clutches are rated like 80% more torque or 150% more torque capacity but they are made for a 2g eclipse and I get a little confused.

Basically I've done my research but can't decide on what to get HELP..
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 03-29-2013 at 02:20 PM

4g64T 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    here is the key, it doesnt matter what you get for a clutch its how you drive it that matters. personally i run all soild hub whether street disc or puck clutches due to seeing to many failures personally.

You want the clutch that can hold your goal with room for improvement with the lightest pressure plate. Example, 2100 6 puck rated at 412, 2600 street disc rated at around the same but 500 more lb plate which is more stress on the thrust bearing every time you press the clutch, so i would easily recommend an ACT 2100 4 or 6 puck. i have driven numerous cars with this setuo making over 400 AWHP and they drove nice, you get used to the engagement.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

I'm not planning to abuse it just normal DD the occasional pull, maybe once a month or less go to the drag strip, I think I'm going with a sprung disc. So with the ACT 6 puck I would get a little more pedal than oem but a little harsher engagements because of the 6 puck?
    Thanks for your input.

How about competition clutch, clutchmasters?

4g64T 5spd

pedal feel only changes with the pressure plate, heavier plate=heavier pedal. engagement changes with the discs, street disc, 6 puck, 4 puck in order of harshness. puck clutches will hold more power with a lighter plate. 2100 street disc rated at 300 but 2100 with the puck discs are rated at 400. i would run a puck clutch unsprung, only for the fact that with the engagement style of a puck you will throw a spring eventually, so save the headache especially if you have never driven a puck clutch daily. and this allows you to run a lighter plate so a moderately heavy pedal but you will put less stress on your thrust bearing.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Competition makes some of if not the best clutches around and that's even before considering price. From the Mitsubishi performance crowd to domestics Comp has performed fantastically in daily and competition circumstances. I've put a number of them in a variety of cars and I run one personally.

Comp is the one brand I'm not afraid to run a sprung disc in. The retainers insanely beefy and most of them are double sprung.

Either way, get something rated for what your goals are. If you want 350whp know where your torque level is going to be at then consider the fact that some clutches are rated at crank output (Spec) and some at wheel output (Competition) but most of all the torque rating is the important number, not power.

I really like the Comp stage 3, STM has a combination of a 2300 PP and a full face sprung carbon kevlar disc that I think I'm going to get and the ratings on their website say it can take around 400tq.

Thanks for the replies guys ;)

4g64T 5spd

Any more input from the other turbo guys?

4g64T 5spd

A $40 difference in price but can't really decide between these 2:
    Comp Clutch Stage 3, 2300lb PP and segmented Kevlar sprung disc $397shipped or
    Southbend SS-TZ, 2200lb PP and also a segmented kevlar sprung disc $440 Shipped

Both are rated for 400+ wtq, both with light PP's for good pedal feel and not too rough on the thrust bearings
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 04-03-2013 at 07:08 PM

4g64T 5spd

I'm leaning toward Comp Clutch. I've seen so many people running them and not having problems compared to spec/act and others.
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

i stick with my act 2100 sprung 6 puck for 408 shipped
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Should using the oem 3g flywheel with a 2600lb PP be a concern to me?

Should the stress put on the thrust washers by a 2600lb PP also be something to consider when looking for a clutch kit for this platform 4g64 stock engine?

What do you guys think of segmented ceramic discs?

Competition 2300pp kevlar disk is discontinued, so options are:

Comp 2600 with segmented ceramic disk
    Act 2100 with 6 puck disk
    Southbend 2200 pp and kevlar disk
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 04-04-2013 at 07:48 PM

4g64T 5spd

im using a comp stage 2 with no issues. dsm guys have been using the stage 2 to hold 400-450tq. got mine for around 270 with free shipping. ive heard great things about southbend clutch disk. stay away from act if possible their quality control seems to have been shitty over the last few years.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports