The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Low idle after batttery drained due to lights left on

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Low idle after batttery drained due to lights left on

I left my lights on and killed the battery. I know that after that happens the computer has to reset itself but my car idles at 500 rpm and often dies at lights unless I keep a foot on the gas. What is the best way to reset the computer so it comes back to operating/idling normallyl?
    Last edited by eksz; 03-30-2013 at 12:47 PM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

I had this problem at lights as well i tightened the throttle cable just a tad and never had any more sweat from it idk what causes it but thats how i fixed it
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

Your computer IS reset.

Clean your MAF and TB and it shoulder clear up.

Oakrdrs187: She was running perfectly before the battery got drained so I figue it has something to do with the way I drove it after the battery was recharged. I jumped it but it sat and idled for a while I put away the other car rather than being driven right away. Was thinkig that could be the cause.
    Master _Visionary: Adjusting the throttle cable is my fall back plan. We think a like.
    I am going to disconnect the battery and then after it has sat a while hook it up and drive the heck out of it and see if it "learns" better this time.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Exactly. It has been reset. Overtime you get build on the small idle openings in your TB that affect your idle. The ECU compensates for it with the IAC, since it go reset theres no previous knowledge to the ecu of these build ups so you get a low idle, maybe even a stall or two. Unplug the battery and clean the throttle body with a rag soaked in brake cleaner or tb cleaner. Clean maf with maf cleaner. Assemble and take it for a spirited test drive of about 10 minutes it will act funny at first but the more you drive it the better it will get. Not the first time this happens across these boards.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Makes sense that it would reset to its original "clean" setting after your explaination. I had thought it took readings based upon what was happeing now and how it was driven and adjusted things from there. Thanks, jjj
    Last edited by eksz; 03-31-2013 at 09:33 PM
    jjj

My car used to do this every time i disconnected the battery. What i did was - unplugged the IAC, raised the idle with BISS screw, plugged the IAC back. After it relearned after some driving, the idle got even higher, so I unplugged the IAC, lowered the idle with BISS screw, plugged the IAC back in.

I know it sounds like pain, but its not much to do.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Looking on line for proceedure to clean MAF and the throttle body: As i understand it it remove the MAF and only use use MAF cleaner on it and do not touch the wire inside of it, just spray it with MAF cleaner several times and let dry and reinstall. Found a YOUTUBE video for an eclipse that said to removed the IAC and then using throttle body cleaner, spray the throttle body and wipe it out. It then said to spray the IAC opening and wipe it out and finally to spray the IAC itself (outside of the throttle body) with throttle body cleaner several times. Does this sound right? Any cautions? Anything that should not get sprayed with cleaner or that can get damaged?
    jjj

I don't know how it is for a 7G but for the 8G our MAF aren't made to be cleaned, leave it alone. I would clean your throttle body on a day that you don't have anything to do so it can dry out throughly. I say that because the IAC can not be wet with cleaner when the car is started or you will fry the IAC. The chamber in the throttle body needs to be dry as well where the IAC goes or else you will fry the IAC. Just be careful since the IAC is so easy to ruin. Just because you saw it on youtube doesn't mean you should do it.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT