The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Sunroof leak casuing wet floorboards?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    reedrosa

Sunroof leak casuing wet floorboards?

Hi everyone. I have a 2001 Galant ES V6 we just bought used. Had a sunroof installed and the last two times it has rained I have found my rear floorboard soaking wet. It appears the water is coming from the bottom of the floorboard and seeping up through the padding and carpet. The headliner and doors are never wet.

The dealer said he would check it Monday but I would like to have some idea of what is wrong with it first. I have heard that there is a tray in the roof of the car, between the headliner and roof that acts to collect water from around the sunroof and run it out the back or bottom the car. Is this correct? A friend told me that it should allow the water to drain out the back of the car near the taillights through drain tubes.

I have read that certain BMWs also have this problem because the water drains are on the rockers and may be damaged and smashed closed, not allowing the water to drain out, but rather fill up and drain back into the interior. Do our cars have drains on the rockers?

Does this sound right to anyone else or has anyone else had a similar problem? Its really starting to make the car smell and I think once I get it fixed, hopefully very soon, I will replace the carpeting. Thanks.

You have drain tubes in the A-pillar on each side by the front winshield and also there is drain tubes in the C-pillar which is the post by the very back window check those to see if they have been pinched or stopped up.
    STEPHEN
    2000 GMC K2500 4x4
    2004 Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4

Censee
    did the previous owner have the sunroof installed aftermarket..???? cuz i can guarantee if the car didnt bring it it will always leak.....no matter how good a body shop does the job,,aftermarket sunroofs will leak...

if its an aftermarket sunroof (which it sound like it is), chances are it does not have any type of drainage system, and mearly relies on a total pressure seal to keep out the water.

is it a power sunroof, or simply a pop-up type?

the4starish
    My floorboards and carpets are soaking wet and are just starting to dry out, they have been soaking wet for the past week, and have started to smell like mold and mildew. I need to figure out how to kill this mold in the carpet and how to dry it out completly. I need to also get the mold out from under the carpet because if u dont kill it, it will come back. Damn it stanks! thats right, stanks, with an A.

I have a 2001 V6 Galant and my floors front and back only on my passenger side are soaked and starting to stink too. but I have check my sunroof and doors and windows and none are leaking. but my carpets keep getting wet and water sometimes comes out what looks like to be a vent under my passenger seat up front. I cant seem to stop it. dose anybody know how? I need serious help, this is my daily driver and drive it between 2 states weekendly.

Experienced TGC Member
    Possible heater core leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    Possible heater core leaking?

I actually just replaced the heater core.

Experienced TGC Member
    Are you loosing any coolant/water from coolant reservoir?

It's most likey your AC drain is not draining to the outside anymore and the water gets backed up and comes out on the passenger side, happened to me, twice
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Experienced TGC Member
    That was going to be my next suggestion. You beat to it. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    That was going to be my next suggestion. You beat to it. Lol
    i am not loosing any water/coolant. . . water is just appearing. . . and we cant seem to find the hose on the outside . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Black8GV6 View Post
    It's most likey your AC drain is not draining to the outside anymore and the water gets backed up and comes out on the passenger side, happened to me, twice
    so how do i fix it if i cant find the drain hose?
    whats the best fix? or easy fix for right now?

Look in your engine bay on the firewall, the drain is right behind the rear motor mount. Another way to the drain is to pull back the carpet on the firewall inside the car near the gas pedal, there is a black plastic elbow that goes from the firewall to the HVAC system. I replaced the elbow (had to cut it on the fire wall side, it slides on to a nipple on the HVAC) with a pliable plastic tube that was long and actually points down towards the ground in the engine bay.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Quote Originally Posted by harristresa0814 View Post
    I have a 2001 V6 Galant and my floors front and back only on my passenger side are soaked and starting to stink too. but I have check my sunroof and doors and windows and none are leaking. but my carpets keep getting wet and water sometimes comes out what looks like to be a vent under my passenger seat up front. I cant seem to stop it. dose anybody know how? I need serious help, this is my daily driver and drive it between 2 states weekendly.
    You should see some sort of discoloration in the headliner if it was leaking from the sunroof. But as Black8GV6 suggested, check the condensation drain. It would also be worthwhile to re-inspect the heater core. The rule I always used servicing vehicles (if you had a persistent issue) is: Re-inspect what you just serviced to ensure you don't have a faulty part, and your re-installation was done properly.