The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Trunk mount?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Trunk mount?

So I was wondering if I did a relocation kit for my battery would i have to vent the trunk anyway? Im not going with an optima cause i think they are too expensive for a battery. So since i will be using a regular car battery i was told that i would have to vent my trunk. This is going in my Rio, but you guys are a lot more knowledgeable and helpful than the guys on the Kia forum. Thanks for the help.
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

Regular lead acid batteries give off hydrogen gas, so venting is a good idea, but I think all trunks have some sort of ventilation, they aren't air-tight. Many cars have trunk-mounted batteries without extra venting. That being said, the reason a lot of folk go with Optima's is because they're AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries and they don't leak or vent like regular batteries, beside being a better battery technology and usually having more available power. Optima, while the most popular and ubiquitous, is not the only AGM battery brand, but generally AGM batteries are more expensive than regular lead acid batteries. Personally if I were trunk-mounting a battery, I'd pony up for an AGM battery, I keep hearing good things about XS Power from car audio enthusiasts, as well as Shuriken and Kinetik batteries, and if you search you can find Kinetics and Shurikens for around the same prices as regular batteries (XS Power is not cheap). Hope this helps bro!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

^^^ Couldn't have put it better myself.

I have a part time job with oreilly and I have always known people at parts stores and optimas are a good battery, worth the money. I would encourage you to get it from oreilly or autozone for that 3 year free replacement.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Regular lead acid batteries give off hydrogen gas, so venting is a good idea, but I think all trunks have some sort of ventilation, they aren't air-tight. Many cars have trunk-mounted batteries without extra venting. That being said, the reason a lot of folk go with Optima's is because they're AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries and they don't leak or vent like regular batteries, beside being a better battery technology and usually having more available power. Optima, while the most popular and ubiquitous, is not the only AGM battery brand, but generally AGM batteries are more expensive than regular lead acid batteries. Personally if I were trunk-mounting a battery, I'd pony up for an AGM battery, I keep hearing good things about XS Power from car audio enthusiasts, as well as Shuriken and Kinetik batteries, and if you search you can find Kinetics and Shurikens for around the same prices as regular batteries (XS Power is not cheap). Hope this helps bro!
    thats awesome information thanks for that i didnt know that, ive been running a regular one in my trunk for a few years, hope i dont die lol.
    but then again im pretty sure i have a hole in my trunk where the vent thing fell out.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    open windows. . . . viola!!! ventilation lmao

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

sticky Greg's post that was well written and great info I learned something
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

Thanks fellas, trying to pass on the knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk fam!

-Greg

Also as mentioned you dont have to with a big brand and spend big cheddar, alot of parts stores are rolling out stock replacements in a platinum series which are AGM cells and are more cost effective than XS or optima.

http://www.google.com/search?q=dural...rchBox&ie=&oe=

http://www.google.com/search?q=super...NKrpiwLMuoDYDQ

Awesome guys! Thanks for everything! And Greg, your the man!
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

Thanks bro!

Vic, now you taught me something, I didn't know the parts stores had their own branded AGM's, that's another option right there.

-Greg

one thing to note about optima's is, as ive heard but not experienced, although they do have the warranty they try real hard to sneak around it. I know a few people that got screwed because optima claimed they "didn't use the battery right" or something like that.
    personally I have 2 redtops in my 8g and love it! yes yes yes I know that most people go with yellows for audio but since I never do anything without the car running I didn't want deepcycles, heard they actually do worse if you don't cycle them and besides, with a HO alt I don't hardly ever pull from the bat anyway ^.^

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!