The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Let's talk intercoolers!

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Let's talk intercoolers!

I'd like to hear what you turbo-ed guys are running for your intercoolers; post up the brand, dimensions, inlet/outlet pipe sizes and even the type of bumper youre running(maybe how much trimming you had to do too).......pictures im sure would be nice as well =]......even if youre running an evo stocker lets see how they fit!

Treadstone TR10C. Link:
    http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...rcooler++666HP

Yes it's a 3g, but none the less...

Crash bar was cut to make room.

You can spent a million dollars on an intercooler if you really want a name brand (ETS, HKS, AMS, etc). Like anything however there are parts that are more appropriately priced. If you are a DIYer like me there is no reason to get the big bucks coolers. Treadstone makes VERY high quality intercoolers, beefy end tanks and very dense bar/plate cores. The prices reflect what they're worth, no stupid mark up. On 15 pounds my IAT's were no more than 35 degrees above ambient and that is insane efficiency.

A very important aspect in intercooling is your piping size. Remember you have to fill every bit of volume in the pipes with boost before the engine really gets it. Take note the outlet of your turbo, unless you're running a turbo capable of 4 digits on the ground chances are it's between 1.5 and 2.25 inches. 2.25 piping is fantastic for moderate builds so long as it isn't full of bad joints. It fills quick and still delivers the air efficiently; the less expand-back you have the less pressure drop and the more power you make for a given boost level, not to mention quicker spool. I personally run 2.5" to cooler and 2.75" to throttle body and that's on a 3.6 running 15 pounds at about 600 crank.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i agree, no need for spending so much on intercoolers when there are many viable cheaper options. on my 7g my intercooler is 31x12x3 no name cooler with 2.5 piping. With my 20g i mad 15 psi by 3k and with the DOHC motor and 35r i will be running the same setup. you dont need to go that larger but dont go too small. On my diamond edition bumper i cut a good deal.

Last edited by Galanttuner10; 04-01-2013 at 10:56 AM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Evo 8 stocker here got it for $80 shipped from NY to PR, ~2.5" inlet and piping, had someone cut and weld aluminum 90* piping at both inlet/outlet that have like 3/4 of a inch of clearance to the rad support and deleted the powersteering cooler for fitting purposes. Using usdm bumper, had to trim a good bit at the bottom of the bumper opening still can use fogs etc. and made a custom crashbar

End result:

Suggestion too whomever may want to use the evo 8 IC, I tried to use the intercooler to tb evo piping unmodified and couldn't get the bumper on (I know Greddy has the piping installed successfully) after some time got frustrated and ordered new piping and started over with a different fabricator/welder. The site I used to get the aluminum piping, couplers and other turbo stuff is frozenboost.com
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 04-01-2013 at 08:40 PM

4g64T 5spd

Do it right the first time and buy an IC that will fit your bumper. Don't buy an IC meant for another car (unless its the same size youre looking for). You are going to have to hack your car up more to get the wrong sized intercooler to fit.

I don't remember my IC core size but I think it was 22x8x3 (damn TGC Garage). I hacked my crash bar in half, across the middle. I think I am going to have it redone, to have it more sturdy and less ghetto.

The core is also very important. Tho there isn't any huge engineering in cores, name brand cores are better than ebay cores for a reason. Companies like ETS, AMS use Spearco cores IIRC. Myself I used a PWR core. Other noteables are Griffin, Garrett, and Precision and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Ebay ICs are quick and dirty if you need an IC ASAP but you are leaving some power on the table when you put your build together. I started off with an ebay core and while they look visually the same, my car would heat soak after repeated pulls. After switching out my IC, my car was able to do pulls for days.
    Last edited by qnz; 04-01-2013 at 10:04 PM

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    Do it right the first time and buy an IC that will fit your bumper. Don't buy an IC meant for another car (unless its the same size youre looking for). You are going to have to hack your car up more to get the wrong sized intercooler to fit.

I don't remember my IC core size but I think it was 22x8x3. I hacked my crash bar in half, across the middle. I think I am going to have it redone, to have it more sturdy and less ghetto.

The core is the also very important. Tho there isn't any huge engineering in cores, name brand cores are better than ebay cores for a reason. Companies like ETS, AMS use Spearco cores IIRC. Myself I used a PWR core. Other noteables are Griffin, Garrett, and Precision and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Ebay cores are quick and dirty if you need a core ASAP but you are leaving some power on the table when you put your build together. I started off with an ebay core and while they look visually the same, my car would heat soak after repeated pulls. After switching out my IC, my car was able to do pulls for days.
    haha i was hoping you'd reply to this. your front end is closest to mine and i was hoping to see the size of your intercooler. plus it looks freakin sexy behind that bumper imho.

as for everyone who replied, thank you. whomever didnt, lets see those intercoolers!.....maybe we can make this into a sticky for easy reference?

I used a stock evo 8 intercooler, ditched the stock crash bar and had a tubular one made, retained the stock power steering cooler, mounted it using the stock evo mounting and was able to use all the stock evo piping without having to cut it or modify it whatsoever. I had to cut the bottom of my bumper a good deal in order to make it fit but not the front of it so it wasn't really noticeable but since I have a custom crash bar my intercooler sat further back than some of the other evo 8 ones that were mounted which maybe have been omega's problem. Talking to English Racing they said the stock evo intercooler is good for about 300 whp, which is more than enough for my plans + it's an OEM mitsu part, which was my goal with my build.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

I disagree with not using intercoolers from other cars. With that logic you shouldnt use turbos from evos or injectors from a wrx. Imho its all the same if you take the time to fit it to the car and dont do a hack job it can come out looking great.
    *Stock evo 8 intercooler - oem reliability and supports more that enough power for this car's needs. I have done 4+ back to back pulls on the dyno and power never dropped.
    *Stock evo 8 intercooler piping
    *Facelifted jdm vr4 bumper cover.
    *Deleted the crash bar and will eventually have a tubular made.
    *Removed the stock mesh. Cut out about an inch from corner to corner of the bumpers "mouth" to clear the face of the intercooler

The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

here's some blurry IG photos before I put my tubular crash bar and bumper on.
    As you can see the evo piping fits perfectly

Hot side stock evo piping

Cold side
    just more proof that it's a bolt on affair.

I plan to run stock EVO ic pipes and a 27x5.5x2.5 intercooler (its was free) and I plan to keep the stock crash bar and not mod it. That's my goal

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Eibach Pro Kit on GR2 Struts
    Cold Air Intake
    Outlander Intake Manifold
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap
    Prothane Motor Mount Inserts

im getting 25mpg city and 30mpg highway untuned!!!