The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What is a MAP sensor? (not MAF)

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Icon5 What is a MAP sensor? (not MAF)

Hello everyone, I was looking at some of the engine bay photos of 7G owners here, and I have noticed a sensor on top of the intake manifold near the throttle. A little more research has led me to the knowledge that it is a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. My concern with this is that I don't have this in my 94' 4cyl 7G, and that I have a dangling connector (near the injectors) that seems to be missing a part. How will this affect the performance of my 7G? Thanks in advance :)

Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor.

It controls fueling on cars that don't have a MAF.

For Mitsubishis that sensor isn't a true MAP sensor it is just used for emissions. My USDM 94 did not have one so I wouldn't be surprised if yours didn't either. You would have a big hole in the top of your manifold if it was intended to be there.

That said, you could have something else disconnected. I'd suggest downloading the factory manuals from this site and looking over the connection diagrams to see what it might be for. If you post a picture of the plug it would help us identify it too.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    For Mitsubishis that sensor isn't a true MAP sensor it is just used for emissions.

That.

When the MAP sensor went bad on a friend's 8g V6 it didn't affect its performance from what we could tell, just a nice healthy CEL. We have MAFs. Now on a Honda, if the MAP goes the car runs like shit, most Hondas dont have MAFs.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

take a picture of the area for me!

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.