The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Transmission problem, need advice

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Transmission problem, need advice

So my car is a 94 auto that ive had for about 2years now, while back when I would accelerate fast it would hard shift from 1st to 2nd. I started taking it easy and driving little slow when taking off and everything seemed to be fine. 2 days ago I go in to get an oil change and afterward i go to drive the car home and i notice its popping out of 1st gear into neutral when trying to take off. When i do get it going it feels like it keeps going neutral while im driving down the road. If i come to a stop it idles really rough like its going to die and I have to pop it out of Drive to keep it from stalling. I assume the tranny is about done for but was just looking for advice if i should even try getting it flushed or take it in to have it torn apart? Ive never really worked on these kinds of cars before and dont feel comfortable tearing it apart myself. Called around to a couple shops and they are quoting $2600 and $1500 for a rebuild. I'm super broke right now so any advice I can get to help save me money is appreciated. Thanks

I would just find a used transmission out of a junkyard probably cost about 500 bucks. Would also get a new torque converter as well.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

5 speed swap is the answer to whatever ails your Mitz automatic
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL