The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Failed emissions, 3 Codes, Nothing fixes it. Long write up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 35 of 35
    Nothing new. I haven't been able to personally look at the car much now that I just moved into a new house and have been remodeling/organizing.

I spoke to the mechanic that was working on it. He's still stumped. Now he's under the impression that the head/block are from different years (which I didn't think would matter). He wanted to tell me everything he did to get it running again, after I brought it to him and he killed it. He told me that the first thing he did was trace the wiring and look it over for any damages. found none. He admitted that he had one of his young mechanics start changing parts on the car, who has since been fired (for this and other issues).

He showed me the plate thats near the crankshaft, that glides through the sensor. It was extremely warped. So he replaced that with OEM, straight from Mitsu.
    He showed me the old crank sensor, which was cheapo after market as well as 2 other after market sensors (one was 2003/other was 2000) Neither got the car running when he tried them. So he ordered OEM directly from Mitsu.
    He kept the old Cam sensor on the car, but now wants to try an OEM one.

He is questioning the cam and if it's the correct one for the car. He said he would be looking up a photo of a 2003 cam to see if they match up. I've got a little over 2 weeks for emissions, otherwise I need to ask for an extension.

I still have a 2000 ECU to try and swap.

Does anyone have a pic of the end of a 2003 camshaft so we can compare?

Experienced TGC Member 99galantES's Avatar
    I believe the cam sensor are all the same I bought one from auto zone and worked perfectly when mine went bad like 2yrs ago

«Carlos»

After trying to dig a little more, I randomly stumbled onto this exact same topic and Possible solution being covered on justanswer.com / C3G / and even TGC: Camshaft Reluctor. It appears that there was an update from 99-01 / 02-03. If in fact this engine has been changed at some point, there is a good possibility that the reluctor is from an earlier year. This would allow the car to run without an issue, but confuse the ECU.

I'll be checking on this later tonight to see if I can identify which one is in my car. God I hope this is it!

http://www.justanswer.com/mitsubishi...m-sensing.html

http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-...335-p0340.html

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...Swap-questions

I ripped this photo from C3G, but does anyone have a trick / recommendation to get this part off? I had the cam sensor disconnected and removed the two bolts for this cover but it still won't budge. I'm trying to get in there to see if that Cam Cylinder is 99-01 or 02-03
    Any ideas? rubbet mallet? Gently pry up the edges?

Take a 12mm deep socket(IIRC) + extension + ratchet and remove the bolt that's in the center of it

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Eibach Pro Kit on GR2 Struts
    Cold Air Intake
    Outlander Intake Manifold
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap
    Prothane Motor Mount Inserts

im getting 25mpg city and 30mpg highway untuned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 99galantES View Post
    I believe the cam sensor are all the same I bought one from auto zone and worked perfectly when mine went bad like 2yrs ago
    99/01 and 02/04 have a different cam sensor reluctor, you need the proper one for the year of your car due to ecu ect bull crap,
    If your getting crank and cam sensor codes and you have a 99 motor in a 03 then you need the cam sensor relctor wheel from a 02/04

Visa versa

MODS

5 speed swap
    Cold Air Intake
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap

Experienced TGC Member 99galantES's Avatar
    I had two different yr motors on my 99 with no issues and swapped parts from 99 motor that I had new

«Carlos»

Sorry I'm late to the party, I had the same problem with my car after an engine swap. I had to swap the cam reluctor wheel to the year range of the engine (2000-2002) or (2003-2005). The early engines had a 1 pulse wheel where the later engines had a 3 pulse wheel. I spent days tracing all my wires, making my own grounds, and repinning (I did a manual ecu swap). Having the wheel wrong will throw both of the codes simultaneously.

Anyway I would change the reluctor wheel to the early style 1 pulse cam wheel (chances are you have a late model ecu that matches the year of the car).

Good luck!

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    Sorry I'm late to the party, I had the same problem with my car after an engine swap. I had to swap the cam reluctor wheel to the year range of the engine (2000-2002) or (2003-2005). The early engines had a 1 pulse wheel where the later engines had a 3 pulse wheel. I spent days tracing all my wires, making my own grounds, and repinning (I did a manual ecu swap). Having the wheel wrong will throw both of the codes simultaneously.

Anyway I would change the reluctor wheel to the early style 1 pulse cam wheel (chances are you have a late model ecu that matches the year of the car).

Good luck!
    You're referring to this part, correct?

Im under the assumption that my engine was changed, but I still have the '03 ECU. I ordered the part on the right, which is for late model galants. I'll have it on Wednesday and see if it works.

Final8 - I'm talking about getting the actual cover off, so I can access this ^ part. It has two bolts holding it on, I removed those, but it's still stuck. Im just seeing if theres a trick to it, or just give it a few good taps with a rubber mallet.

Oh well my bad, tap it a few times and spin it off, there will be a o ring on it so there a lip on it too

MODS

5 speed swap
    Cold Air Intake
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap

You got it! Let us know if this fixes your problems.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Got the new Cam Reluctor in last night. Check Engine light went away and has stayed off. Drove around the block last night, then 30 mins to work today. I'm going to get Autozone to read for any codes on my break, just in case... Then hopefully get my emissions done! Keeping my fingers crossed.

good job

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

And it's officially fixed! Just passed emissions. Thanks to everyone that was trying to help and troubleshoot the issues. Problem Solved.

Good to hear bro, sucks that you have emmsions, you should move to Fla, have fun with it

MODS

5 speed swap
    Cold Air Intake
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12