The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fixing a flex pipe

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Fixing a flex pipe

So while changing my belts, I noticed that the flex pipe lost all the wire mesh and i saw a hole under the spring part of the flex pipe. What do most people do to fix this? I have a 04 Galant 3.8L. I read on here of people getting the flex part cut and get a new one welded on. Is that the normal, cost effective method? I thought of changing out the Front no 1 exhaust pipe (got the name from the manual) where the flex pipe is part of the pipe. I can't find the part number for the exhaust pipe; if anyone has that, i'd appreciate it.
    2004 Galant LS

For 3.0 2004 galant that flex section is one whole part including the cat so that's why most people probably just fix the section. Part number is MR281019

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Experienced TGC Member
    You can find a universal flex section for about $20. You just have to figure out the specs you need. If you don't have a welder add in $20 for 2 band clamps and it would put you under $50 to fix it vs the big $$$ your going to spend at the dealer. Only other things you would need are exhaust pipe cutter or saw and a basic socket set which should be in your trunk at all times lol.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Thanks for giving me a place to start bgood12. I actually was able to use google search and see an image of that part that you posted and that's not the part. But from that site, I was able to search for my car part and its http://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse....iagram=6242165.

The part where the flex pipe exist is #16. The flex pipe is about 4 in long and is that bulge to the left of the arrow where #16 is pointing to. Since that part is bolt on (with some rusted bolts right now), I figure I can replace them myself. I might go ahead and replace #14 exhaust pipe as since it looks like the shield for that pipe is loose and deteriorated. If anyone has access to a parts list for the 3.8L 04 galant, can you supply me with the part numbers for the following? Thanks

Parts
    #16 - exhaust crossover pipe
    #14 - Exhaust pipe
    #19 - crossover pipe gasket
    #27 - seal
    #15 - exhaust pipe gasket
    2004 Galant LS

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4 View Post
    You can find a universal flex section for about $20. You just have to figure out the specs you need. If you don't have a welder add in $20 for 2 band clamps and it would put you under $50 to fix it vs the big $$$ your going to spend at the dealer. Only other things you would need are exhaust pipe cutter or saw and a basic socket set which should be in your trunk at all times lol.
    If I use the clamps, do I use some high temp sealant as well just to get that good seal with the clamps?
    2004 Galant LS

I'll give you post numbers, sidenote I got booted from the site for this once, buy if you go to edit view source code, you can search for the part name and the source code has part numbers in it. But I'll get the numbers for you.

Experienced TGC Member
    Yes you can put some exhaust sealant around both ends of the pipe before you put on the clamp for a better seal.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

The red party numbers are the new numbers used but if you out the old one in it should show the new one. My bad, the first time around I was looking at the 8 g.

I think you could prob go to rockauto.com and just get the seals and parts you need.but get bosal parts.

You could also just go here http://www.roadraceengineering.com/exhaustparts.htm

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I have plan to work with. bgood12, you can remove that picture; don't want you to get booted. I found the part numbers from the page source like you said.
    Last edited by unknown_owner; 05-19-2013 at 02:32 PM
    2004 Galant LS

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Just so I'm understanding this because I'm having the same problem. All I have to do is grab a flex pipe from the recent link above and two clamps with some sort of sealant gel, I get that part but now with the saw...there's a specific one to cut it? And where to buy it also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk