The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A/C cold from top vents, not so much from the bottom

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

A/C cold from top vents, not so much from the bottom

My wife has been complaining that the A/C in her 2000 hasn't been cold lately. I was gonna bring it to a place to have it evac'd and refilled but today she told me that she switched the vent from both top & bottom to only the top and it got cold real quick. So I checked it out myself. When it's set to both top & bottom there's a little bit of cold air from the top but not much from the bottom. When it's only top it's cold. When it's only bottom it's not cold at all.

Does that make any kind of sense?

I told her to just leave it on the top but she didn't like that. So what's this all about?

Back to the top... I'm using this car as my daily driver now instead of my wife. And since I'm using it, it's a bigger problem. :P

Still the same thing though, it blows cold air when it's set to the top vent only and blows cool when set to top & bottom. Also it only blows cold when the RPMs are up (like highway speeds), when I'm stopped at a light or just idling it's blowing cool air no matter which vent it's using.

Any advice?

Most likely the blend air doors are stuck shut. There is actuator that fails that controls the vent system. I think member GTX is selling one.

Yep, I got one. Two actually, one from a '01 and one from a '02. I also have the whole unit from the '01 should you need it, just check out the for sale thread in my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    Yep, I got one. Two actually, one from a '01 and one from a '02. I also have the whole unit from the '01 should you need it, just check out the for sale thread in my sig.
    Would the '01 or '02 work on a 2000?

Also if the blend doors were stuck then wouldn't I be getting no cold air at all?