The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The Boom Box Chevy

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

The Boom Box Chevy

Ok ladies and gents this is the earliest picture i have of her. it is a 84 caprice classic coupe, RWD, 350 carbureted, gas guzzling, painnnn in my .....

She was four different colors when i brought her home

I immediately got started on the body work; having no previous knowledge of the JOB at hand... I should have known that 28 years of dings, dents, and a nice sized indent in the rear qp, would not go easy
    I even managed to shave off the door locks (or the holes where they went) lol

About a month later she was primed the first time to one solid flat black ish color

Then it was time to make some noise!

enter 220amps of power

A big 3 upgrade
    Then off to the drawing board

thought about putting in a solo x 18
    but that wouldnt do this hug 20 cu ft trunk justice

nah

option #2 a few 12s (just for now)

NAH

option # 3 four 12s or 15s

many days later and a new grey hair, NAH

SO... option #4 with my previous success with fiberglass i figure to just rip the back seat out and make a deck for... a few 18s
    made a mold

made some rings

stole a very large womens shirt

popped it back in the car... and got to pouring resin

After 3 gallons of fiberglass resin and sooo many yards of cloth... i still had flex in the deck! If i know one thing from all of these box's its that flex is not conducive to sustained enjoyment..
    SO..
    the 18s were aborted, sold, and put into a proven design i made for my tahoe that was stolen while i was in iraq

and boy did they slam OH MY CHONGEYS 2 18s tuned to 30hz in a 17.75 cu ft box! WOOOH ish was loud and i was sad... i knew i had made the right decision aborting the deck at that moment.

option #5 terrible design!

Option #6 two fi btl n2s in a pro box. Rock solid subs! i loveddddddddd my BTL 18s for the 2 weeks i had them :(
    BUT the frequency response wasnt there for me in the 12s. I wanted...HAD! to have that 30hz snot dislodging bass

ENTER Option 7 the blow threw

dream on that..
    Last edited by ricky_db; 06-07-2013 at 02:04 AM

Woah.

This is that shit that I love! Proper box design! I have heard nothing but good things about Fi subs. I myself am going with either a Sundown X-15 or SSA Icon 15 myself for my build (when I get there). 30 hz is LOW, that's why I wanna go at least 15" myself at 31 hz when I build my box. Yours is gonna be an absolute monster when it's done, keep the progress coming!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

man.. im telling you Fi's subs are the truth. i have some RE MT (triple stacks) in there now and they are tearing my car up lol.
    (x2)turn signal leavers
    horn button
    door handle
    door handle rod (both ends came out) lol
    busted a few rivets
    and now my gas tank is ripped directly under the subs

im looking into getting one of those buick roadmaster fuel tanks. they look to be some sort of plastic, i dont think bass can break that.

oh yes 30hz is low and nasty

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Whoa... Just whoa... lol
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

This is insane! Good car too

-Danny
    Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
    Ally and her whip a day helps keep the drama away!

I awoke the beast for one song today . . to demo just one song for a high school friend, there was a graduation party going on next door so i laaaayed into it (with the engine not even running). It popped his ears and my rear view mirror fell the F off, like perfect timing as soon as the last bass note hit under full epic, plop..

when i re bought the MTs i got the box back that i sent them off to become men in aswell, what better to do with a 17.75cu ft box then recycle it and put it on a slight diet

adding the external section of port

the trunk as a few of you know isnt as flat on the bottom due to gm and this b body gas tank, so i had to cut around the high spots and make the floor bottom clear the humps and set flat back there. I definitely didnt want 200 sum pounds of 3200 watts moving around back there

What made you make the box with the subs facing upwards, instead of facing towards the taillights?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Well ivory I only had 10 inches of depth to work with and these are 18s i wanted to use in a car with the most air space and use most of the exisisting box parts that I had and this was a plenty strong double baffle at 1 1/4"

Bro! build me a box!!!!!

For how many of what kind of sub?
    I only have one box ahead of you now

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_db View Post
    Well ivory I only had 10 inches of depth to work with and these are 18s i wanted to use in a car with the most air space and use most of the exisisting box parts that I had and this was a plenty strong double baffle at 1 1/4"
    Oh ok I see
    JDM Zenki Conversion

For how many of what kind of sub?
    I only have one box ahead of you now
    Lol well I have a bunch of subs but I want to do a single 12" setup.
    I have a tc sounds 5200 motor that I'm gonna build into a 12.
    You know how to do tline boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    Oh ok I see
    Maybe if I could have faced them to the rear I could have saved my gas tank. Smh

Quote Originally Posted by BassinG View Post
    Lol well I have a bunch of subs but I want to do a single 12" setup.
    I have a tc sounds 5200 motor that I'm gonna build into a 12.
    You know how to do tline boxes?
    I get to concept of a t line box but I'm mainly only interested in the bass notes that I can hear and not just feel, so I find it a lot better to tune @30 hz if the driver can take it. Something else you probably never knew but what's a hella low t line box going to do when your amp may only have a 45hz low pass, meaning everything under 45hz is unattainable to be amplified leaving gaps

Maybe if I could have faced them to the rear I could have saved my gas tank. Smh

I get to concept of a t line box but I'm mainly only interested in the bass notes that I can hear and not just feel, so I find it a lot better to tune @30 hz if the driver can take it. Something else you probably never knew but what's a hella low t line box going to do when your amp may only have a 45hz low pass, meaning everything under 45hz is unattainable to be amplified leaving gaps
    Well I have always wanted to try one out just to see what the hype was about. Might try a tline with a coupke of 8's. I really want to build my own boxes but I just don't have time or the tools to do it.

ive got the time and most of the tools, what im lacking is funds and motivation for this build lol

I ended up dropping the gas tank, draining it, repairing it with some epoxy, and then laying down about 150 or so mills of sound deadender to keep out from vibrating.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

are you gonna swap out one of those subs? running an Fi and an RE together doesnt look like itll be running up to its full potential.

They both were re mt triple stacks. I'm still waiting for that original mt to blow or fail so I can recone it with fi upgraded soft parts aswell

Currently looking for a 12 spoke 18" basket

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Re: The Boom Box Chevy

Out with the old[IMG]

In with the new
    [IMG][/IMG]

Find me a recone to make it do what it do

[IMG] [/IMG]
    Last edited by ricky_db; 07-25-2014 at 03:10 PM