The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Subs in rear deck?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar

Subs in rear deck?

Searched and didn't find anything, but I remember this topic in the old galantforums site so I'm sure it's on here somewhere.. But can this be done easily? Iirc, it was done on the 9g but not yet with the 8g.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

Unless you find some subs that are built for free-air/infinite baffle setups,your sub will sound like shit and not last very long if you just throw it in the rear deck without a box. A box helps to control cone movement, among other things, and different boxes do it differently. That being said, if you use the deck as your front baffle (where the sub will sit) and build a box around the sub installed in the deck, properly designed, sized correctly, sealed up and made with material that will not flex on you, you'll have a dope setup, but one that requires more work for little gain in performance or space gain, if any. Is there any particular reason you'd rather not just get or build a box for a sub?

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

With the 8G you have to remove the trunk torsion bars then you can, then you can put gas shocks on the trunklid.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

I was just curious if it has been done and was thinking of sound something different. I've already got a plan for the interior that hasn't need done yet lol.

And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

So would it be better just to put a box in the trunk and maybe a 8 inch between the armrest and back seat

It all depends on what you want to do. Myself, I feel like if I have a sub in the trunk, I won't need a second small one, but depending on your setup, it might be beneficial. I know on the car audio forums some guys will have a big sub that's tuned low (I'm talking around 29hz or so) so that the mid bass frequencies roll off (80 or so Hz) and they need a small sub to fill in those frequencies, which an 8" does well. In fact, whenever I finally get my Diamanté, I plan on putting two 8" Sundown Neo Pro mid bass woofers (they're not subs, but they kinda look like they are) in the doors so I can tune low on the 15" I want to put in the trunk. So consider what you wanna do, how much space you wanna sacrifice, what kind of bass response you want, and go for it!

Hope this helps, you can join Realm of Excursion's forums and read for days about different setups and their advantages and disadvantages, what works well, what doesn't, sound quality vs. sound pressure levels (spl, or loudness), brands of equipment to use (modern-day Kicker, Rockford, etc, are trash compared to some of the smaller brands like Ascendant Audio, Fi, Sundown Audio, Sound Solutions Audio, Skar Audio, Phantom Soundz, and many others I learned about over there) and much more.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

I think I might do something else entirely that I've had in my head for a little while now. I've got a pretty good older model 10" kicker that I like so I might just stick with that.

You can try stealth subs. These subs go under the seat.

I've tried floating subwoofers, the stealth subs sound better if you are going for SQ. But for SPL, better off building a snail shell box which I think is not very common in the USA, but there are diagrams everywhere.