The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My Transmission is in limp mode!! But Only Cuz....

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

My Transmission is in limp mode!! But Only Cuz....

As the title states, the G in my sig is in limp mode, about 4-5 different tranny codes I didn't even bother pulling them because I already know why its doing it. I have no reverse lights because the fuse is blown. See the thing is it keeps popping as soon as I replace it and when I shift into reverse I can here the tick it makes and boom its blown.

My question is why is the fuse popping, I haven't torn into it because I work straight until Wednesday after 5 PM.

I'm gonna go ahead and rule out wiring for the reverse lights, because of one minor "MAJOR" detail.

My girl drives this car 90% of the time, she calls me to say the car hardly moves forward but drives fine in reverse, so right away I knew it was in limp mode. She said it was all good until she tried to clean windshield with the washers but they wouldn't work. So I proceed to check the lever, and its broken. Its stuck in position to activate the washer pump, I can pull it towards the cluster but then it goes back near the steering wheel, it still clicks up and down to go through all the wiper speeds. Anyway I have a feeling something broke internally in the mechanism and got caught up in the steering wheel harness/clock spring possibly shorting something out, because the SRS light is also on (bags not blown thank god!)

Enough jibber jabber... Any thoughts on whether or not my theory is correct?

Here you can see the bottom corner of the plastic base broken, can't really tell the lever is in the pulled position towards the steering wheel but it is.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 06-11-2013 at 12:40 PM

I had the same exact thing on my daily. I bought it with that part broken but I did not have an srs light. I guess it could be possible that 2 connections have tripped a circuit or something.

Just pull that cover off with the 2 screws under and un-clip your broken lever then attach your new one. I'd be interested to know if this takes it out of limp mode.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

That has happen to my lever before, I hadn't noticed until after I did my 5-speed swap. The plastic piece broke like yours, all I did was buy a new one. I've read somewhere that there was a recall for that, if yours has never been changed then you will need to unscrew your old one & the new one just clips in no screws needed.

I believe that the plastic pieces that broke somehow tripped a wire or two as the wheel turned throwing a SRS light and somehow tripping the fuse for the backup lights. I will be uncovering it all tomorow evening and hopefully its all good.

Until then keep dropping your 2 cents fellas

Isn't there a recall for that issue? I remember seeing a TSB on those breaking

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    -Andrew

I can't add any input but at least you know where to start electrical issues are a pain in the ass to track down....

Ok. So clock spring assembly swap. We have working levers. No SRS light and reverse lights are good.

BUUUTTTT!

I go out of reverse and into neutral, fuse pops and srs light comes back. Wtf!

Any thoughts?

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Going at it and I find it only pops it when in neutral. If I pull the fuse go into drive the replace it dont blow. Go back to neutral and pop.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

I know this thread is a few years old but i figured i would give it a shot . Did you ever find out what that problem turned out to be. I'm having the same issue it's frustrating