The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Time for an Oil Change

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Time for an Oil Change

Hey all With th changing weather it's about that time to change the oil type as well. Which Oil grade are you all switching to?
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

Faction
    im switching over to 10W30 starting Mid-May, you know Laz, the florida weather. oh and i almost forgot, is it safe or is it good to mix one bottle of synthetic blended oil with regular oil?? i just had that idea in my mind and thought somebody knew my answer

I am using 10W30 Mobil 1 Synth.
    Love,
    Matt

i'm using the castrol blend!
    Semper Fi'

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VegasMatt)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am using 10W30 Mobil 1 Synth.</div>

Using the samething..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Punklant_03)</div><div class='quotemain'>im switching over to 10W30 starting Mid-May, you know Laz, the florida weather. oh and i almost forgot, is it safe or is it good to mix one bottle of synthetic blended oil with regular oil?? i just had that idea in my mind and thought somebody knew my answer</div>

No Don't mix Synthetic and regular. you'd be better off with the half synthetic mix. Once you go Synthetic your not suppose to change back
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Punklant_03)</div><div class='quotemain'>im switching over to 10W30 starting Mid-May, you know Laz, the florida weather. oh and i almost forgot, is it safe or is it good to mix one bottle of synthetic blended oil with regular oil?? i just had that idea in my mind and thought somebody knew my answer</div>

No Don't mix Synthetic and regular. you'd be better off with the half synthetic mix. Once you go Synthetic your not suppose to change back</div>

yeah, as long as you start putting synthetic into your engine from day 1, you're ok. if you've been putting in regular, then synthetic, its pointless. i get a lot of people that come into the shop and insist that i put synthetic oil into their car when they've been running something like 5-30 or 10-30. people in san diego think they know everything
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Senior TGC Member
    They say you can always switch back and forth between synthetic and regular...at least, that's why everyone tells me. I'm using 10w30 for summer, 5w30 for winter.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Faction
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus
    Quote Originally Posted by Punklant_03
    im switching over to 10W30 starting Mid-May, you know Laz, the florida weather. oh and i almost forgot, is it safe or is it good to mix one bottle of synthetic blended oil with regular oil?? i just had that idea in my mind and thought somebody knew my answer
    No Don't mix Synthetic and regular. you'd be better off with the half synthetic mix. Once you go Synthetic your not suppose to change back

wow, it says Punklant_03 still in that quote, he is no longer here

Tiptronic
    do the synthetic oil come in the different viscosity's as the regular oil (5w or 10w) or is there just one base viscosity with that

Senior TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Bilko
    do the synthetic oil come in the different viscosity's as the regular oil (5w or 10w) or is there just one base viscosity with that
    They still come in different visco
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Tiptronic
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyxsius
    They still come in different visco
    okay cool. so even with synthetic, its 10w in the summer, and 5w in the winter :?:

Senior TGC Member
    okay cool. so even with synthetic, its 10w in the summer, and 5w in the winter :?:
    That's the plan I stick with. Higher visc in summer to prevent the oil from getting too runny, and low visc to keep it fluid enough. My dealership automatically does this without input.

mbssbm
    I'm using Royal Purple 10w40. If you haven't ever used royal purple then your missing out.

Faction
    thats what i plan on doing with our galant, he used 5w without a problem during winter time, 1 question, do i have to keep using the synthetic blend in the engine or can i use it and then use regular oil after the synthetic? the blends im talking about is the ones that aren't fully synthetic, i just wanna get it straight

Tiptronic
    Quote Originally Posted by mbssbm
    I'm using Royal Purple 10w40. If you haven't ever used royal purple then your missing out.
    some talked about this royal purple on th old boards. said it was great, but pretty hard to come by. not everybody sells it. i wonder if they got a webite......?

I made the swap to Amsoil 10W40 before I made my drive down to Florida haven't had any problems with it so I must be doing good.
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

Faction
    why 10w40?

no reason in particular its synthetic I try and keep it amsoil and tat's all the shop had at the time and I didn't wanna wait to order it. Check your PMs by the way
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

SB99
    Im actually using 0W30 Amsoil Synthetic in my 99 Galant. I think Amsoil is pretty good.