The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: EVO ECU vs 3G ECU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 37

EVO ECU vs 3G ECU

I was speaking with someone about what ecu to run in my car. i was going to just run a 97 eclipse ecu and leave it at that. I was thinking of maybe running 3G manual ecu because of the flash capabilities. this person was saying that a evo ecu would be a little better option. mainly because of the fact the ecu on the evo can control boost and i don't need to run a manual boost controller.

what do you guys think? who running what ecu over the other? i seen some evo ecu's going for $230. how much are 3G ones?

i don't plan to run DSM link or tune it myself. i know a tuner who tunes with flash.

also with my setup i will be running a maf translator II

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

The evo ecu controls boost thru the WG solenoid which we dont have, so thats more wires to be added.

Best bet is 98-99 DSM flashable ECU. You'll do the same amount of rewiring as if you were using link but the price of the ECU is in the low $100. Thats what I have in the green G.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I'm in the process of rewiring a 97 Galant harness to use a 99 GST ECU and there is a fair amount of rewiring involved. Adding one more pair (set?) of wires for wastegate control would be very minor if that appeals to you. The 3G Eclipse ECU might be the least expensive route if you can grab one from a you-pull-it yard or check eBay. Having a GST/GSX harness on hand to pull parts from has also been really helpful/necessary.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Hmmmm. Some interesting points here. What's the difference in wiring a 97 2G ecu vs the 99 2G?

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

There isnt.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Just the flash capability because 97 is not a black box ecu
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

I was reading that the 99 black boxes have some limitations on scaling. What do you use to tune a 99 black box? Same as Evo 8/9?

yes. you use ecuflash to tune and evoscan to log 2g Ecus.

evo ecus are going for $250 now? Mine was $100 5 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    yes. you use ecuflash to tune and evoscan to log 2g Ecus.

evo ecus are going for $250 now? Mine was $100 5 years ago
    ya, people are catching on i guess lol

i'm still searching. what year ecu's work?

Yup, they got word the DSM crowd was after them and the price went way up. The 3g ECU will probably do the same but salvage yards may be slow to catch on to that one. Plus there were a lot more of them made.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

can maybe one of the 8G guys could chime in and tell me the difference running a 3G ecu over a Evo ecu

i can get a 3G one real cheap i mean rape cheap.

what ecu's should i look for? part numbers and such for both evo's and 3G's

i want to make sure i have everything covered so when i take the car in for the swap i won't have headaches. i just want to get the car running on a base line with the built motor. make sure the motor is good before tuning. plus i'll need a stronger trans....

Its been a long time since I've kept up with Rom Flashing news, but IIRC, couldn't you flash an entire evo rom onto a 3g ecu also? I thought I remembered reading about that

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    Its been a long time since I've kept up with Rom Flashing news, but IIRC, couldn't you flash an entire evo rom onto a 3g ecu also? I thought I remembered reading about that
    YOI ARE CORRRCT,

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Eibach Pro Kit on GR2 Struts
    Cold Air Intake
    Outlander Intake Manifold
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap
    Prothane Motor Mount Inserts

im getting 25mpg city and 30mpg highway untuned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    can maybe one of the 8G guys could chime in and tell me the difference running a 3G ecu over a Evo ecu

i can get a 3G one real cheap i mean rape cheap.

what ecu's should i look for? part numbers and such for both evo's and 3G's

i want to make sure i have everything covered so when i take the car in for the swap i won't have headaches. i just want to get the car running on a base line with the built motor. make sure the motor is good before tuning. plus i'll need a stronger trans....
    Any 3g manual ecu will do. No specific numbers to look for or anything. Same thing applies to the evo. But as mentioned. Eclipse ecu is capable of running the evo rom.

I still have the ecu we pulled from that convertible 3g when we pulled my manual tranny for my swap when you helped me and matt and I plan on using it.

So just go get a 3g ecu from a manual car and you are good to go.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

whats the diffrence between the evo and 3g? nothing lol

so whats the point then. i'll grab a 3g one then

who has a pin out for the ecu?

there is no difference once the evo rom is flashed on the 3g ecu. save yourself the money
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Ok I grabbed one from an 03 manual v6. With a foot of wiring. Ican someone help a brother out and test it. Maybe flash a evo rom with no imobilizer

Not sure it the v6 ecu is the same but you need an i4 ecu in order to flash the evo Rom on to it..

MODS

5 speed swap
    Cold Air Intake
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap

Quote Originally Posted by finald8ta View Post
    Not sure it the v6 ecu is the same but you need an i4 ecu in order to flash the evo Rom on to it..

from what i understood it was any 3g manual ecu.

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    from what i understood it was any 3g manual ecu.
    Yea from a 4 cylinder not a v6

MODS

5 speed swap
    Cold Air Intake
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast