The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cv joint or wheel bearing or something else?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Cv joint or wheel bearing or something else?

Ok here is the deal last week my inner tie rod end just fell out someone didn't tighten it right I guess. This in turn caused my wheel to get turned probably too far idk. I put the tie rod end back on and replaced the outer tie rod end because it was severely worn. After that when I make hard right turns while im on the throttle I get a weird intermittent grinding popping sound. Sounds like metal on metal kind of. This sound is coming from the left front side only. I took a fast drive today up to 50mph and the sound has gotten worse and I don't need to be turning as hard for it to make the sound. Also I noticed when im sitting still it becomes hard to turn the wheel to the right the last 2 inches. When im driving strait or tuning left I don't get any weird sounds. What could this be? Please help I need this fixed asap since this is my daily and I am a delivery driver
    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

get an alignment

Why an alignment

Ok so im pretty sure I found the problem it kind of obvious once a started looking harder it is the driver side Cv axel

When the wheel turned to far because of the inner tie rod giving out it tugged on the inner side of the axle, the side thats very easy to come apart. It tore the boot open letting the grease out wich is why it started making noise and over time as more grease came out the noise worsened.

You can either replace the entire axle and be done with it. $60

Or you can pull it out, get a boot kit and rebuild it, kit will include new boot, clamps and grease. $10

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah im just going to replace the whole thing it look pretty mangled inside the boot like it got hit with a hammer multiple times