The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbo Blankets

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Turbo Blankets

Lets talk Turbo Blankets. Benefits: quicker spool, lower under hood temps. Cons: Some say it'll make the turbine housing crack from excessive heat or if the blanket cover the center section, it'll make the oil temp higher etc. etc,
    I've decided I will buy one but can't decide if go with the more expensive DEI titanium (lava) ~$150 or PTP (lava) ~$145 or black silver ~$100, or go the ebay route and spend ~$40-$50 on a silver-black one. Post your experience and/or recommendations ;)

4g64T 5spd

I had one on ivory and it was baller! I could easily feel the difference in underhood temps for sure and that was an ebay one. However now that I am not on my first turbo car anymore and I'm more experienced. Lava rock is definitely worth it and most importantly getting one that fits the turbos hotside properly. That will eliminate insulating any oil in the center cartridge right there. Also if the turbo is water cooled that point is already moot. As far as cracking goes you wont see any if the car isnt tracked and the hotside is constantly heated for extended periods of times on a regular basis. Even then if its a quality hotside you wont see that.
    In short my suggestion
    -lava rock
    -properly sized
    -wrap the downpipe at the same time

that combo gave me a nice jump in torque across the powerband
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

How about Ceramic coating?? That's another option to consider.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory8g View Post
    I had one on ivory and it was baller! I could easily feel the difference in underhood temps for sure and that was an ebay one. However now that I am not on my first turbo car anymore and I'm more experienced. Lava rock is definitely worth it and most importantly getting one that fits the turbos hotside properly. That will eliminate insulating any oil in the center cartridge right there. Also if the turbo is water cooled that point is already moot. As far as cracking goes you wont see any if the car isnt tracked and the hotside is constantly heated for extended periods of times on a regular basis. Even then if its a quality hotside you wont see that.
    In short my suggestion
    -lava rock
    -properly sized
    -wrap the downpipe at the same time

that combo gave me a nice jump in torque across the powerband
    Yeah DP is already done in DEI titanium (lava), thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    How about Ceramic coating?? That's another option to consider.
    My manifold will be ceramic coated and probably the hot side too eventually (I can't afford to have anymore downtime) but I'm still getting the blanket, the combination of the ceramic coating and the blanket would be the most beneficial in my opinion
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 08-02-2013 at 03:01 PM

4g64T 5spd

no problem man. swain coatings is really where its at but its $$$
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]