The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Powerstop Brake upgrades on 04 Galant GTS

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Powerstop Brake upgrades on 04 Galant GTS

So I've had to service my brakes about 3 times in the last year, I have a really heavy braking foot. So my brakes started grinding and I decided to do an OEM Powerstop replacement/upgrade kit for my car which are drilled and slotted with ceramic scorched pads. Now my brakes are super quiet and smooth. I couldn't be happier with the results.

This is in addition to fixing both of my back window motors (put it off for over a year), so now I don't feel like such a scrub driving my G. The brake dust has really stained the plastidip so the next step is to clean and redo the plastidip on the wheels.

Step one, go out and bed in your brakes. It burns off any leftover resins from the pad manufacture process and embeds a layer of pad material onto the disc to aid in stopping and keeping them from warping (which is not really warping). Also, after a hard stop, never keep your foot on the brake, this deposits excess pad material in that one spot only and that contributes to the vibration most people call warped rotors. Use your e-brake to stay stationary after a hard stop and take your foot off the brakes, or slow down but never come to a full stop (drifting forward slowly) while those brakes are hot from a panic stop. Since bedding my brakes and adjusting my driving style I go much longer in between brake jobs.

Read this link for more info:
    http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

Hope this helps!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Step one, go out and bed in your brakes. It burns off any leftover resins from the pad manufacture process and embeds a layer of pad material onto the disc to aid in stopping and keeping them from warping (which is not really warping). Also, after a hard stop, never keep your foot on the brake, this deposits excess pad material in that one spot only and that contributes to the vibration most people call warped rotors. Use your e-brake to stay stationary after a hard stop and take your foot off the brakes, or slow down but never come to a full stop (drifting forward slowly) while those brakes are hot from a panic stop. Since bedding my brakes and adjusting my driving style I go much longer in between brake jobs.

Hope this
    I had bed them in using Powerstop's direction sheet that came with them as soon as I got my G back from the mechanic. I have been coming to slow stops even after heavy braking but didn't know about using the ebrake after heavy braking.
    Thanks for the tips. :D
    Last edited by Brendan; 08-05-2013 at 07:14 PM

Hope this helps!
    Ever since you first posted this article I fuckin live by it bro!

It makes some real good points and is overall a good read.

Now everytime a customer at Oreillys comes in and says their shit is warped I'm like "Yea Right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    I had bed them in using Powerstop's direction sheet that came with them as soon as I got my G back from the mechanic. I have been coming to slow stops even after heavy braking but didn't know about using the ebrake after heavy braking.
    Thanks for the tips. :D
    That's just a little something Greg threw in there so that you don't keep the hot brakes applied at a light or whatever. Using your e-brake is a way around it, Think plastic on hot metal, if you keep it in contact its gonna cake to it, hence what the article mentions as "warped rotors"
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 08-05-2013 at 07:18 PM

Thanks Vic, I live by this article too. I tell everyone I meet about it if they mention frequent brake jobs. Opened my eyes, and makes perfect sense.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    That's just a little something Greg threw in there so that you don't keep the hot brakes applied at a light or whatever. Using your e-brake is a way around it, Think plastic on hot metal, if you keep it in contact its gonna cake to it, hence what the article mentions as "warped rotors"
    Thanks Vic, I live by this article too. I tell everyone I meet about it if they mention frequent brake jobs. Opened my eyes, and makes perfect sense.
    Yeah this definitely does make a lot of sense, I just never thought about it that way. I'm guessing that I can probably just put my car into Neutral or Park after panicked/heavy braking to avoid the contact while at high temperatures.