The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: It's build time, and I need your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 38 of 38
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-03-Mitsub...7339c9&vxp=mtr

Even something as simple as this will get the extra intake noise, if that's what you're after. Its as simple as removing the stock airbox and bolting the adapter to the mass air flow sensor in place of the box. For $16 you'll get the same result as somebody who spent $200+ on an Injen or K&N. The only difference is you won't have a shined up piece of pipe.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-03-Mitsub...7339c9&vxp=mtr

Even something as simple as this will get the extra intake noise, if that's what you're after. Its as simple as removing the stock airbox and bolting the adapter to the mass air flow sensor in place of the box. For $16 you'll get the same result as somebody who spent $200+ on an Injen or K&N. The only difference is you won't have a shined up piece of pipe.
    Excellent. And thanks for all your input thus far man.
    GaB

Hey everyone,

I've been reading a ton of threads and just soaking up knowledge in general as to decide where the future of Oddball is headed. I've done some things here and there, and I have a lot of ideas, but with all my other interests and a wife I can't just up and do stuff. But here's the progress so far:

I put this boy in finally (eBay adapter + filter) and it's worked fine for the hour it's been in. It was an adventure making the bolts work but I ain't one to complain.

I cleared the corners and painted the shrouds on my lights a while back but never put any pics up. I made that custom emblem like a year ago too.

In the pic above you can see I have the grille out. Long story short I wanna put this one in it's place but I need either a new bumper or to modify the stock one. I started trying the latter but I could tell it wasn't gonna get me what I wanted so I stopped before I ruined something. I made the grille out of an old grille from a 2001; I cut the fins, found something to make the mesh out of, fitted it, and I have yet to figure out how to adhere the mesh to the frame.
    Last edited by oddball; 01-18-2014 at 04:13 PM
    GaB

Let's talk about the front end for a sec though.

Most people have custom grilles in because they fit their new bumper, which they got because the normal front bumper looks retarded. The center part that I'd have to cut out to put my custom grille in is the culprit; that along with the bottom of the bumper sloping so far inward, it's just poorly designed (come on 2003 Mitsu designers, just look at it). The 2 best fixes are to either:
    1. Get a new front bumper with custom grille, or
    2. Get a lip and leave it as is.

To be honest I'm torn between the 2. I like some of the lip options, but I can't seem to find any consensus on which one requires the least modification (cutting is cool, but I ain't extending nothin). Obviously the new bumper would be the ideal option but that's like $400 between parts and paint, not really worth it to me. What do yall think?

Different subject, brakes/wheels.

I have a V6 LS so it comes with the 16" 6-spoke wheels, I wanna upgrade rotors and calipers down the line but I need to get some that will fit inside my current wheels until I can upgrade those too. I saw the R1CONCEPTS stuff but I don't know if they still do business with us. Any reasonably priced suggestions?

Finally, drop kit.

Since like 16 I've had dreams of droppin and puttin rims on whatever luxury sedan I bought. Responsibility has prevented that thus far but it's getting close now so I'm asking for ideas. I've read I need new coilovers or my new springs will be shot within a year. True? If so, how intensive and expensive is changing coilovers and springs? I don't really need advice on rims, I've been planning those for 6 years, but feel free to drop your 2ยข.

Yo,
    Garrett

-On the bumper, it's your choice, everybody is different.
    -I would get chrome bulbs for the turn signals or even better get "switchback" turn signals, light is white and when you want to use it as a turn signal it switches to amber.
    -R1 Concepts still does business, they send me xx% off coupons in my email, just send them a PM.
    -I installed D2 coilovers in august or september. It was easy, hardest part was breaking the big nuts loose. Smooth ride, better than my stock eclipse. Just have to watch how you park since now I can destroy my bumper on the concrete if I pull up too far, BIG bumps on the interstate suck, go slow over speed bumps, gotta pull in cockeyed to sloped driveways. Coilovers make the galant look great, coilovers are easier to install than new struts and lowering springs. My endlinks were shot so I put some MOOG endlinks in at the same time.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

I might look into switchbacks, that's a cool concept. As long as they're not led, I went through a whole thing with them.

I got in touch with R1C a bit ago, I'll prob get rotors from them sometime in the nearish future.

Coilovers sound like the way to go, but it might be further down the road than I thought. If you've ever driven in New Orleans, you'll understand why.
    GaB

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    A cheap/effective alternative to switchback is to just LIGHTLY paint your bulb silver so the dim running light doesn't come out, while the brighter blinker light does.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

Real quick: are they Performance rotors worth the extra $hundo from R1?
    GaB

not really, unless you plan on tracking her hard...

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    Real quick: are they Performance rotors worth the extra $hundo from R1?
    Take a look at this, might provide you a little additional information to the rust resistance of them -

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...ght=r1concepts

Don't bother with fancy rotors, there's literally zero need.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    Don't bother with fancy rotors, there's literally zero need.
    Whoa! We can actually agree on something?

On my Eclipse, I bought premium ceramic pads and rotors from Carquest and they are perfectly fine. No reason to do much otherwise.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

So the rotors are on, calipers are painted, the new pads are in, and the brakes have been flushed.
    ...Unfortunately we only got the front half done in a day, and it took some doing. Not having a shop will really take your productivity down.

OG

It took some muscle even with a 5' cheater bar to unscrew the hub bolt that we didn't need to touch.

New rotors on, shoutout R1

Everything all together
    GaB

Now for the I need your help part.

We tried taking the rear rotors off later in the day and decided it wasn't worth it (racing the sun) after we ran into a snafu. We couldn't brake the rotor free even after putting 2 screws in the release holes, it seems like its stuck on one side. It could just be rusted on that one side because the rotors are so deep in the back but can anyone confirm that it's just the 4 bolts holding the 2 halves of the caliper on that keep the rotor in place? No extra bolt somewhere we can't see?

Also, unrelated to the work, it feels like my first gear is struggling, that's the best way I can describe it. I feel a resistance in it and hear a belt-like noise, then when it switches to 2nd it all clears up. Anyone had this? If I make a video of it I'll make it a separate thread but maybe someone knows what I mean and has a suggestion.
    GaB

And to finish off the trifecta of inquiries, gimme your opinions on these:
    XXR 522
    GaB

Make sure the e brake is not on when tryig to pull the rotors, 2 12mm bolts through there will do it every time unless the brake is on.

I've seen those on an rsx, to me the spokes come out too far, beging for some curb rash imo.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Make sure the e brake is not on when tryig to pull the rotors, 2 12mm bolts through there will do it every time unless the brake is on.
    Thanks, I think it was on. I'll find out if that does it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I've seen those on an rsx, to me the spokes come out too far, beging for some curb rash
    That was my first concern, especially since my wife drives it sometime, bless her heart. But I really want a decent offset, and they're the right price, color, and general style. We'll see what happens...
    GaB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12