The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G Galants and the Winter time.

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

8G Galants and the Winter time.

I have owned my Galant for about two months so far and I have been loving it! One concern that I have is how it will handle in the winter time. Seeing that the 8G Galant is a pretty light car, I am worried for how well I am going to be able to handle in the winter time. My last car was a tank and weighed little over 3000 lbs. It handled pretty well on the slick roads of Minnesota, but the Galant is literally HALF the weight of my last car. I have noticed when its wet out after it rains, I loose traction pretty easily around corners at about 20 mph as well as starting and stopping hard. I am just wondering how well the Galant handles in the dead of Minne-snow-ta winters and if there is anything else I can do to better prep for this coming winter. I have all four new tires currently, so that is a start. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks!

Actually they are almost 1000 pounds heavier than your last car. their GVW is 3900

What crack are you on. 8gs are like 3000-3200
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

GVW, or gross vehicle weight, is the maximum weight of the car including passengers, accessories and cargo, excluding trailers. This differs from curb weight, which only includes the car and its consumables, including fuel and fluids. Dry weight excludes consumables. Curb weight is what most people look for when wanting to know the weight of their cars. As Martin said, the 8G's curb weight ranges from around 3,000 lbs to 3,200 lbs roughly (3,031 lbs for a 2001 DE - 3,296 lbs for a 2001 GTZ, to be exact according to AOL Autos).

That being said, I have had no problems in winter with good all-season tires and a good suspension. The weight of the drivetrain over the front wheels keeps the car planted in snow, provided you aren't trying to do 80 mph in a blizzard. I have yet to see how the V6 reacts in the snow, but having gone through one recent winter where we received over 80" of snow with my old 4-cyl 8G (may she RIP) she did just fine.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

I stand corrected. I honestly thought it meant the car and full fluids. Anyway it aint half of 3000 pounds which is what I was trying to get at.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

What?! You've got to be kidding me? Huh.... my previous seller told me otherwise. (In my defense, Ive owned the vehicle for about 2 months now. Live and learn)

OP what was your last car?

That said, the Galant is lightish by today's standards but its long/stable, has thin tires and all in all is very good in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    OP what was your last car?

That said, the Galant is lightish by today's standards but its long/stable, has thin tires and all in all is very good in the snow.
    OP's last car was a late 90's Ford Contour I believe.