The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2000 Galant 2.4L climbing revs when in park

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

2000 Galant 2.4L climbing revs when in park

So my car was fine yesterday before I started working on motor mounts. I had to take the battery out to reach the one motor mount so that was done. After re-installing everything I started it up and then ran it through P,R,N,D, to see if the new mounts were doing their job. after that it was shut off while the tools were put away. I then started it and had it idling for ~5 minutes before I started to drive it. I pressed the gas peddle and the revs kind of felt like they were sticking, and it was definitely harder to brake. I then looked at it again thinking that the throttle was stuck at the engine and it was fine. Once it was placed back in park the revs shoot up to 2500 and gradually climb (100 rmp per ~10 seconds) I pressed the gas a little to shake it free and it just stuck the rpms at 3000 (where it revved to when I pressed the peddle) and still was climbing. The only thing I could do was shut the car off to make the car stop revving higher.

So my question is, what can I do from here?

The car was apart for ~5 hours with the battery out if that makes a difference.

Either something didn't get plugged in or came unplugged or...

Its sounds like the computer needs to relearn its idle and shift points.

Its $10 fix. Go to any parts store and get a can of MAF air flow sensor cleaner and a can of throttle body cleaner. Unplug the battery and set it aside, remove the air intake tube and clean that throttle body. Open the butterfly and with a rag soaked in TB cleaner use your fingers and like the days of high school get deep in there.

This is the goal.

Yours may not be as bad but even this is considered dirty.

Next get your can of MAF cleaner and spray the sensor down. Dont reach in and scrub this one if you break the resistor inside your screwed, just spray it down thoroughly.

Afterwards re-assemble and take it for test drive, the car will be erratic and might even stall a few times. After 10 mins of spirited driving it should be ok.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the through reply! I'm gonna double check all of my connections and hoses and if that doesn't work I'm gonna clean it all out like you suggested. Thanks!